Decent Digital Camera For £100ish?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chrismcfall, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Chrismcfall macrumors 6502

Hello! So, I've been looking for a new digital camera to replace my old one.(Packard Bell 2mp:eek: ) Is there a good choice in the price range I want? One camera I saw for quite cheap was this: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5605321.htm I see it doesn't have a rechargeable battery like other Olympus cameras I've seen, is that such a big deal?
    Also, I would quite like a Mju Mini, but I haven't seen them in the shops for ages now, can you still get them?
    Cheers, Chrismcfall

2. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

3. Chrismcfall thread starter macrumors 6502

I quite like the look of that, but how would the battery life be with AA batteries?

4. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

How about an excellent older camera off ebay, like the Fuji f10?

5. Chrismcfall thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm afraid ebay isn't an option for me, But that Fuji camera looks great! A camera I would really want would be an Olympus Mju Mini, any chance of that in stores?

6. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

7. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Youd really need to buy some NIMH rechargeable AA batteries and a charger. Digital cameras absolutely eat batteries, even the best non rechargeable AA's (upwards of £5 for 4) will only last for around 10-20 shots

8. jack-abs macrumors newbie

FUJIFILM FINEPIX F10 Digital Camera

Chemistry: LI-ION
    Volts: 3.6V
    Capacity: 1800mAh
    Dimension: 53.00x35.30x11.00mm
    Net Weight: 48.00g
    Color: BLACK

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Doesn't Canon sell some dirt-cheap models? I think it's called the A410 or something of that sort. It's still 5 MP or so, I believe. It's also a decent camera. My friend has one. The LCD is very small, but oh well.....it's cheap as chips.

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

10 to 20 shots??? where did you get that? I regularly get around 300 shots from non-rechargable AA's and that's not even using "the best" batteries

11. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

You absolutely must have rechargeables. If you can get lithium, that's best. Digital cameras do eat batteries too quickly for non-rechargeables to be at all a good option.

I have an Olympus FE-190 myself. It was about $180is U.S., so that would be about £100. It's solid, tiny, and takes good pictures. And it has it's own rechargeable lithium. It's a good camera.

The worst thing about it is you can't get a dock for it, so the battery has to be taken out to be charged.

12. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

How about a secondhand camera from a camera shop? LCE are good in that respect, but quite a few big towns/cities might have a local camera shop tucked away.

Quite often they take trade-ins for buying new products, adn then sell the trade-ins on as secondhand in the shop. This also means there can be some "negotiation" on the price.

I'd go and have a chat with the people there to see if they have any suggestions for your price range.

13. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Most of these should be ok... and probably cheaper elsewhere... :)

(I'd stay away from the HPs, though, but they aren't the cheapest, either)