Decent Freeware for DVD Compression?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by aidanpendragon, Jan 12, 2007.

1. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Specifically an alternative to DVDRemaster? I.e., something that will convert without crippling video but won't cost me (a lot)? Got some .avis that I converted to Video_TS, but are around 4.9 GB, and I'm trying to get them on DVD.

I see from some searching here that DVD2OneX is an option that arises. However, does that have a similar "pay-before-you-can-do-anything-useful-with-it" restriction? This isn't a big enough deal to me to justify $50-60.

Have Toast 6 and (I think) an earlier, maybe v 1.x, version of Compressor.

Already found about about Burn via someone else via probably this thread, which I used to get to the Video_TS stage, so hoping there are some ideas.

2. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. slosh macrumors newbie

try ffmpegx (http://www.ffmpegx.com/), which is shareware ($15, but you get full access before paying). while it's a little complicated to get the hang of, it's a really great program. in the tools tab there' s a "dvd4" tab which should do what you need. i usually use dvd2onex or toast, which since version 7 or so has builit in video compression for dvd's.

4. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

"This feature is only available to registered versions of ffmpegX." Still, thanks anyway.

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

It's cheaper than Popcorn.

And if you REALLY want only free solutions, and don't have any objection to playing on the command line, you can download ffmpeg, the open-source core of the for-profit ffmpegX. (In fact, ffmpegX makes you download ffmpeg separately, so they aren't violating the open-source license.)

6. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not so much that I ONLY want it free, just want to make sure it works OK before I shell out the cash.

7. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Compressor can compress the footage - use a bitrate calculator (check MacUpdate) to determine the max bitrate to fit on a DVD with the length of your footage.