Decent mouse for gaming...

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by SlickShoes, Aug 1, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

I am looking for a decent mouse for gaming. I have been looking at the cheaper razer ones.

However my problem is I play games plonked on my reclining sofa. I only just realised the large flat arm rest makes a decent mouse pad so I have moved to there so that i can use a mouse again. I have spent the last couple of years just using gamepads and touchpad which obviously isnt really ideal.

I just have a cheap bluetooth mouse just now but it doesnt feel that great, pretty cheap and small and stutters a wee bit so I am looking for some advice on what mouse to get.

I will mostly being playing MMOs and some casual FPS.

2. macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I have the Razer DeathAdder 3500DPI running on Snow Leopard without any problems, but apparently there are some people here having difficulty with Razer products.

3. macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I want an all BT setup and I'm planning to try the Lazer Orochi. I definitely want a BT mouse but my only concern with the Orochi is it may be too small for my hands. Other than the size it seems nice when I tried one at Microcenter. Many people have told me the Apple magic mouse does not work well for gaming; no surprise there. As for the Orochi, if it doesn't work out for me then I will have to go with a wired gaming mouse. There are a bunch of decent ones to choose from so I'm not too worried about it.

I also use a Logitech G13 and an old PowerMac keyboard but I have a new BT Apple board waiting in the wings. I wonder if there is a bluetooth usb port so I could use my G13 wirelessly also? My family room big screen TV calls me to game wirelessly.
    :D

4. macrumors member

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cheers for the input, assuming the bill for my car getting fixed isnt too bad I think I will try the Razer Orochi.

I have a magic mouse but they are indeed dire for gaming and anything else in windows.

I was thinking about getting a wired one but i dont want the hassle of unplugging it every time i go to get up from the couch. I know I sound really lazy haha but I think a cable would get in the way a bit.

6. macrumors Core

Dagless

Anything Razer is good, higher-end Logitech and Microsoft mice are great too.

I've been using Razer mice for about 8 years now and before that Logitech. The shelf life of Razers seems to be quite short (usually last 2-3 years for me) but I still find myself going back to them.

7. macrumors member

oklaonion

I wouldn't be doing my duty if I didn't recommend the Razer Naga, especially since you say you play MMOs. There's a ridiculous amount of buttons on it that you can assign to do anything. It changed the way I play WOW - I can basically heal heroics with one hand. It's also the most comfortable mouse I've had.

That said, since I've stopped playing WOW, I've been curious about the Orochi for StarCraft 2. I just wish the naga was bluetooth because I've grown allergic to cables.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I am that way with cables now too, I have a wired Xbox controller for gaming and having that cable trailing around is a wee bit annoying!

I have just re-installed Starcraft 2 so when I get the mouse I will post back and let you know how it is! I will be playing Star Wars when it comes out, I used to also heal in WoW but I havent played it since December and can't see myself going back to it now as i did play it for about 3 good years!

9. macrumors 6502

I just ordered a new macbook pro 15", and I'll play some CoD and some SC2, tell you how the DeathAdder is. I decided to save $20.00 and go with a sleek mouse rather than a lit up fat one with buttons I wouldn't use.

10. macrumors member

oklaonion

That would be great if you could let me know how the Orochi is for SC2. I think I am done with WOW too and will likely only play SC2 and Diablo III in the near future. I want to lose the cable.

11. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just ordered the Orochi so it should be here in a couple of days, then i can get onto starcraft2 again and start getting my butt handed to me! I will let you know how that goes! I am eagerly awaiting the release date for diablo3!

12. FroMann, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

macrumors 6502

FroMann

Logitech G400.

It is the new version of the MX518 (which I use), the G400 costs about 45 bucks on Newegg and is the most comfortable and reliable mouse I have ever used. Some games like the ones from Valve support the extra buttons, and the app Better Touch Tool allowed me to map out gestures on the mouse.

13. macrumors newbie

I use the razer deathadder programmable side buttons in both WoW, CoD and SC2 to acquire a significant edge.

I could hotkey spells on wow on my mouse, for a quick Fear or death coil
    I found having my knife on CoD on my mouse to be fantastic
    SC2, I usually have all my production facilities on one tab, all my nexus/CC/hatch on the other button and my army on the last
    (two on the side and using the scroller button)

It's great, and the grip is also very confortable, I saw people recommend it too and I strongly approuve

14. thread starter macrumors 6502a

That sounds awesome! I don't think i could go with a full size mouse though due to lack of space. I am hoping to turn my spare room into a gaming office type room in a few years and the mouse you use sounds perfect to pair up with that!

15. macrumors 68040

cluthz

I have both Logitech MX518 and a G9.
    The MX518 is amazing value.

16. macrumors 6502a

sinser

Deathadder is decent, but having to increase the tracking speed after each reboot is terribly annoying.

17. macrumors 6502a

sinser

Do you mean that tracking speed never resets ??? Even Razer recognizes that issue.

18. macrumors 68000

Another vote for the Orochi. And they finally have a FULLY WORKING mac driver out...

19. macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Yeah, when I'm on the login screen it sure goes slow, but as soon as I log in to my computer, everything goes back to how I set it.

I wish I knew how to help you guys having that problem, but I don't. It just works for me.

20. macrumors 6502

21. macrumors 6502

FroMann

22. macrumors 6502

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Seriously tho, the DPI count stuff is major crapola. In fact, I know some very very elite FPS players that laugh at it all together. It's all about what buttons you like and what form factor doesn't tire you out. Actually, I've found that a simple mousepad with a gel wrist rest and keyboard wrist rest are the best accessories to help my game -- more than the keyboard and mouse themselves really.

That said I'm a dude who payed like ~$80 for this http://www.logitech.com/en-us/428/130 to use just for day to day stuff so I can't really pretend not to be super anal about mouse choice.

23. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha! I was considering getting a ridiculous mouse for work, i use a $10 microsoft one just now and its all work will buy me so was thinking of treating myself to something a bit fancier since its in my hand 8 hours a day!

24. macrumors newbie

I really like the Logitech Performance MX. It is cable free and charges with a USB cable (no batteries)

I bought it primarily, as it also works flawlessly in Windows 7 so when I swap to Windows in Bootcamp, I have a gaming mouse ready to roll there too.

Hope this is a help.

25. macrumors 6502

Revolution MX is USB charged (no batteries and lasts for days), feels great, and the MX control panel software lets you easily map the thumb buttons ... i have the forwards and back thumb buttons mapped to desktop and "show all windows" respectively and the thumb slider wheel mapped to forwards / back in my browser ... top button does spotlight.

My favorite, probably totally unnecessary but awesome, part is that the top main scrolly wheel does clicks for little scrolls but when you really flick it it's got a clutch that disengages the clicks and lets it free spin with the momentum of the flick. You can go into the control panel and actually ADJUST at what momentum the click / free spin engages.