Decent USB Microphone for Mac OSX / Windows

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cromulent, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I'm looking for a relatively good USB microphone for my mac pro. Ideally it would work both for Windows and Mac OS X. I have seen some fairly good ones but they only mention Windows in the requirements. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent one (used for Ventrilo mainly) that is fairly cheap as well and works with both OSs?

Any help appreciated :).

Edit : Looking for a desktop one, I do not like headsets.

2. Drizzt macrumors member

Drizzt

Rode has the Podcaster microphone which works really well and is broadcast quality so it has very good results. It works driver-free (I think) for both Mac and Windows; all you have to do is pull it up in your editing or recording app (i.e. GarageBand).

However, it is a bit pricy at $199, but it performs amazingly well. Here is the website:

http://www.rodemic.com/?pagename=Products&product=Podcaster

Tell us what you end up getting.

[Edit] By the way, is that quote in your signature from the movie Without Limits?

3. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Thanks for the information but that is slightly out of my price range. I'm really just looking for something that will record from both Windows and Mac OS X, but as I said before I am not sure if the Windows only USB Microphones will work on Mac OS X.