Decided on a G5, but which one? Refurb or New?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bloodfist, Sep 12, 2005.

  1. bloodfist macrumors member

    Apr 30, 2005
    I have decided to buy a G5 to supplement my 1 GHz G4 Powerbook.

    The first decision is wether or not to go refurb or new. The current refurb listings as of this post are:

    Older Generation
    Refurbished Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz $1,299.00
    256MB/ 80GB/ SuperDrive/ GigE/ 56K
    Refurbished Power Mac G5 DUAL 2.5GHz $2,299.00
    512MB/ 160GB/ 8x SuperDrive/ PCI-X/ Rad9600XT

    Current Generation
    Refurbished Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHz SuperDrive $1,799.00
    Refurbished Power Mac G5 Dual 2.3GHz SuperDrive $2,199.00

    I wouldn't mind buying a refurbished Apple product because my roommate's refurbished Powerbook is still going strong.

    Then of course Apple has the normal retail offerings, everyone knows what they are, Dual 2, 2.3, 2.7, $1,799.00, $2,299.00, $2,699.00 respectively. Those are educational prices btw.

    Now the decision is which one. Do I go low end and pick up the referb single 1.8 or dual 2.0 (retail or refurb), and wait for the Intel based macs? Or do I go high end, and ride through the first several years of the Intel based macs? Of course this decision would be easier if we didn't have to deal with Intel.

    What do you think? I just don't want to look back a few years from now and wish I bought something faster, or vice versa.

  2. FFTT macrumors 68030


    Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    The dual 1.8 and newer Rev C 2.0 both share the limited prosumer
    motherboard allowing for only 4 GB RAM and standard 33MHz PCI
    expansion slots.

    I'd try to catch a REV B 2.0 refurb or go for the 2.3. NEW
    Both share the PRO 8 DIMM motherboard with the faster 133MHz PCI-X
    expansion slots

    Rev B 2.0 has the 8 X SuperDrive
    Rev C 2.0 has the 16X Dual Layer
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    The 1.8 was known to have a few issues but they were pretty rare. I'd say the dual 2.0 is the best value deal of those listed. Don't bother waiting for Intel, any of these machines will give you a huge performance boost.
  4. FFTT macrumors 68030


    Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    I sure wish Apple would scrap the damn prosumer motherboards
    altogether and use the PRO 8 GB Dimms motherboard in all PowerMacs.

    Maybe something cool will turn up at the Paris Expo.
  5. bloodfist thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 30, 2005
    I'm not headed home until the 24th of this month, so with the expo on the 20th, if anything new comes out, I can take that into consideration.

    I am also thinking a new dual 2.3.

    Any other thoughts?

    Thanks for your input.

  6. FFTT macrumors 68030


    Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    That's the sweet spot in the whole lineup!

    If you're getting the 2.3, you might as well
    get the 256MB GPU since it's such a reasonable upgrade.

    Order your extra RAM from Crucial or OWC
    AppleRAM ( SAMSUNG) is insanely overpriced.

    1 GB recommended 2 GB is ideal.

  7. 840quadra Moderator


    Staff Member

    Feb 1, 2005
    Twin Cities Minnesota
    I bought my Refurbished Dual 2.0 (REV B) on April 1st 2005 (Apples birthday and the day EVERYONE on macrumors was expecting a keynote from Jobs, and new Macintosh computers).

    I have had little or no issues with it, and the machine is great! I still haven't taken the protective plastic off of the sides yet! (i am terrible with things like that)
  8. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    I would recommend waiting until the Paris Expo. The 2.3 is a very nice machine. it will last you until the Rev B. Intel Mac. Just be sure to get AppleCare and extra RAM. Most would recommend at least 1 GB and get ti from Crucial.
  9. bloodfist thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 30, 2005
    Dual 2.3 w/ 9650 and Bluetooth upgrades and Applecare - $2,588.00
    Dual 2.7 w/ Bluetooh upgrade and Applecare (9650 standard) - $2,943.00

    Since I am spending this much money, why not go all out. I mean with this amount of cash, $355 isn't a whole lot more money. For that $355 I get 800 MHz more (400x2) and a 200 MHz faster bus.

    As you can see I'm very indecisive at this point. When I started this post, I thought that the dual 2.7 was worth the extra cash, but now that I spelled it out, I see that its not worth it.

    What do you think?

  10. dberg macrumors member

    Jun 15, 2005
    rev B 2.0 or new 2.3 ?

    Would anyone give a good reason to get a new dual 2.3 over a Rev B 2.0? The only difference i can see is Superdrive, Graphics Card, UTA vs SATA, and HDD size.

    Is this worth the $500 - $600 extra considering the speed increase from 2.0 -> 2.3 is going to be minimal ... I get an education discount so can get a new 2.3 base model for 2299.

  11. wPod macrumors 68000


    Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    id say go for the newest/best you can get now. then wait out the first generation of intel machines. theres a good chance the first ones will only preform as well as the current G5 line up (assuming the next upgrade for the powermac is the intel line). i have a rev A PB that i got right when the Rev B came out (so i got a good deal on the A) but looking back on it i should have gotten the Rev B b/c it has a few things that now i really wish i had (mini DVI out instead of minVGA out, and USB 2!!!!) so if you wait for the second generation of intel powermacs (or some new pro line, do you think they will ditch the power name?)
  12. Euan macrumors regular

    Sep 1, 2005
    Yep, likewise although I'm waiting to see if they update the PBs.
  13. bloodfist thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 30, 2005
    I have a Rev B Powerbook right now, and I'm treating it more like a desktop, than a portable, and it shows. That's why I'm getting this G5. Mini DVI and USB 2.0 are big features, the only thing thats different between the customized systems listed in post #10 is bus speed and processor speed, which like the Mivi VGA and USB 1.1 can't be upgraded. I just don't know if the the difference mentioned is worth almost $400.

    I am not going home until the weekend after the Paris Expo, so I can see if the release anything new in the Power line.

  14. FF_productions macrumors 68030


    Apr 16, 2005
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    WAIT until Paris Expo like everyone else is saying...If no updates happen, jump on a dual 2.7 if you can afford it...
  15. bloodfist thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 30, 2005
    Of course I'm going to wait, but like I said before, I am not too sure the 400MHz/processor and 200MHz bus speed increase is really worth $355.

    I guess its down to 2.3 v 2.7...let the best PowerMac win. 2.3 or 2.7?

  16. FFTT macrumors 68030


    Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    I know Apple changed water cooler manufacturers going to the 2.7,
    but those puppies still run hot and that ends up making them noisier
    than the 2.3 or 2.0. under load.

    That $300+ difference gets you 2 GB of RAM (3rd party) and the 256 MB GPU upgrade that will both greatly improve your performance.
    If you're hell bent on trashing your savings add the ATI x850. :D

    You haven't mentioned monitors, so I can only assume you either have something good or you've already budgeted for something new.

    Wait for Paris Expo, then take it from there.

Share This Page