Decided to get an iPod mini, what are must-have accessories?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dferigmu, Mar 19, 2005.

1. dferigmu macrumors 6502

Ok, I think I've decided to buy a 6GB iPod mini, which would be my first iPod ever. It will be pretty much full, but I think it will be a good way to step into the iPod world and then I'll get something better in a couple years.

My question is, what are the must-have accessories for the iPod mini?

Firewire cable (is it really faster than USB 2)? Do I need a dock? A case (does the mini need one)? Should I get APP if I'm only keeping it for 1-2 years?

What accessories are worth it for the mini?

2. blacktoned macrumors member

USB 2.0 is fine, slightly slower than FW is transfer speeds. Only real thing you need is the AC Adapter as the new models don't include them. Personally, I think you should go with the 30GB photo. Has everything you need and it only $50 more than the 6GB with promo savings and educational discount i you qualify. With the AC Adapter, it will easily come down to $10 more.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The mini is a good choice, I have a 1G mini...

I've actually never used my AC adapter (which came with my mini), mainly because I just connect it to my iBook whenever I need to charge it (and never missed not having a dock). Of cource if you will often use the mini for some time away from your computer then the AC adapter is essential... ;)

As for USB2 vs Firewire... any will do fine, as long as your computer has one or more highspeed USB2 ports then I wouldn't bother with a Firewire cable...

What you really need is a decent pair of headphones. I recommend Koss PortaPro, which sounds amazing (unless you want to go for the white in-ear fashion statement ;))

4. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

A case (if that isn't obvious). If you want to keep that sleek 'ipod' look to your mini, you have to get some kind of case from it (iskin is great, or a nice leather one). I also recommend a screen protector of some kind and perhaps something to cover the clickwheel (though I've had no problems with it....only minor scuffs on the CW).

You don't need a FireWire in my opinion; I filled my mini with a USB 2.0 with 700 songs in like 15 minutes.

I have a dock for my 20GB iPod but not for my mini (well technically I can use the dock on my mini, but I have to switch the cover). You don't need it, but I enjoy having it b/c charging is so much easier (I know, what's so difficult about plugging it in...truth is, I don't know lol). If you feed the cords from the back of the desk, it's nice to dock the iPod because the wire won't fall behind the desk when you unplug it.

I'd get an A/C adaptor just because I hate charging my iPod through the computer because of the extra cords on my desk (my USB ports are on the side of my laptop) and I hate the fact that it syncs up each time I plug it in.

ENJOY YOUR IPOD! :)

5. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

6. Covington macrumors member

the middle of nowhere ... well, close enough
    I second mariahlullaby. Not only are cases good looking - they also protect your iPod from that accidental fall.

The APP doesn't seem like it's worth it if you are getting a mini.

If you exercise, get an armband or something to hold your mini while you are working the treadmill.

7. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

What are some good mini cases other than the iSkin?

8. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

With the education discount, it's $90 more. Is there some promo that I don't know about?

9. Covington macrumors member

I have Marware's Sportsuit Convertible. It comes with an armband, a protective case, and a belt clip. It fits me well since I am both athletic and accident-prone. I found it while dropping by the nearest Apple store.

See pictures here:
    http://www.marware.com/cgi-bin/WebO...catalogCatID=112&wosid=4RdXd13O6E7EWpayrjy4bw

There's a lot of good stuff out there. Try to find one that fits you well. Apple Stores are good places to look for cases, since most computer stores only devote half an isle to Macs.

Hope this helps, and happy searching.

10. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

Now what's the difference between the Apple accessories? I know the AC adapter charges the thing without a computer but is that the same thing as the USB and Firewire power adapter? And what exactly does the Dock do? Does it do the same thing as the USB 2.0 or Firewire cables?

11. Covington macrumors member

AC adapter: As you said, charges iPod without a computer.
    Dock: "Stands up" your iPod when it's charging.
    FireWire Cable: Used with dock. Transfers music very fast - 400mbs.

Personally, I think that of these three accessories, only the AC adapter is worth it ... under very special circumstances (i.e. you are on a varsity team and travel a lot).

Enjoy your iPod.

12. pigbat macrumors regular

Keep in mind that the 20GB comes with the AC adapter. It just steps you that much closer to the price difference between it and the 6 GB mini.

13. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

14. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

Two questions: Does the 20GB iPod and iPod photo come with a USB or firewire AC adapter?

Also, does anyone know anything about that promo blacktoned was talking about? Since when can you get the photo for only $50 more than the mini?

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm pretty sure he was comparing the standard mini price to the educational photo price. Still, I'd look into a normal iPod. You can use the extra space to back up your hard drive. :cool:

16. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

What sucks about the 20GB iPod though it that it's the most outdated model. It has the worst battery life out of all the other models. I think I would rather have a photo than a 20GB iPod.

17. grimmace macrumors regular

MUST HAVE?

iTrip. That is an absolute must have for an ipod or mini. Play your stuff over any stereo, car, home, etc...