Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PCtoMac-change

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
First is as stupid as it may sound can I transfer my WoW patch updates from PC to Mac with a external HD?
I still have 56K:)eek: ) since DSL or Cable isn't in my area so updating all of them would be harsh.

Next is what would be considered a "power house" on the 20" and 24"?

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
First is as stupid as it may sound can I transfer my WoW patch updates from PC to Mac with a external HD?
I still have 56K:)eek: ) since DSL or Cable isn't in my area so updating all of them would be harsh.

Next is what would be considered a "power house" on the 20" and 24"?

No you will not be able to transfer your patches from the PC to the Mac.

I don't really follow your last question, what do you mean power house?

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
If you can get DSL/Cable in your area, follow this helpful tip :

Tip : Find a Best Buy that sells Macs in the store, go there, sign up for Verizon DSL or Cable with the Mac, and they'll knock 150 off. Well, they should. I dunno about the Macs, but thats what we're doing with the PCs.

Verizon DSL starts at 17.99 a month. Hell, thats cheaper than AOL, MSN, and a few others.

Gurutech

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2006
PC patches and Mac patches are different. So you have to download again.
If you can afford iMac,
I strongly recommend you getting cable or ADSL atleast.

PCtoMac-change

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
As I said in my first post I can't get ADSL/DSL/Cable where I live. It sucks not even 10 minutes off the highway I tried every single provider near me, and it's just not here. Unless you know how to get them to bring it down here or know a updated place to check, then I can't :( .

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The "big" patches (eg. 1.12 -> 2) tend to be cross-platform. They're usually distributed in a folder containing the MPQs, Updater.exe and Updater.app. Just copy the whole folder and run the .app :)

The "little" patches (eg. 2.0.5 -> 2.0.6) are usually self-contained so you'll need to redownload those.

There are a couple of tricky ones, eg. the 2 -> 2.0.3 patch contains the MPQs and the .exe but no .app. If you know what you're doing, you can copy the MPQs over and get the Blizzard Downloader to pull down the .app by itself. However, it might be easier to redownload in this case.

PCtoMac-change

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Instead on making new topic i'd figure i'd post here, is it possible to get like the GeForce 7300 GT with the 20 inch iMac? All the sites I looked at haven't had opinions like that.

wizwaz3

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
Northern Arizona
As I said in my first post I can't get ADSL/DSL/Cable where I live. It sucks not even 10 minutes off the highway I tried every single provider near me, and it's just not here. Unless you know how to get them to bring it down here or know a updated place to check, then I can't :( .

Have you looked into Hughes Net? They're a satellite Internet company. If you haven't, you should check them out to see if they can service you. They say all you need is "a clear view of the southern sky" so maybe...

PCtoMac-change

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Have you looked into Hughes Net? They're a satellite Internet company. If you haven't, you should check them out to see if they can service you. They say all you need is "a clear view of the southern sky" so maybe...

$700 to set-up and a $70 a month is to much for me, as I heard only bad things.

PCtoMac-change

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Oh wow, that's outrageous. Seems strange that you could get a landline, but not DSL...

Verizon, Bell south, AT&T(yahoo) and Covad don't offer it here. Heck all the things I heard about Earthlink DSL i'd take it. Got any other suggestions of national companys that might have it? If it helps at all my Zip is 23426.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.