iPad Decided to wait for iPad 5 - Weight matters

Discussion in 'iPad' started by srkmish, Jul 5, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

srkmish

I had started a thread earlier regarding weight issues of larger ipad. Some were very comfortable using their ipads for long duration of time while some preferred the mini. I myself have a mini and love it .

However, for better mags/pdfs experience i was torn between ipad4/ Nexus 10/ XTZ.

Personally ,it has dawned on me that to really enjoy a tablet it has to be light especially for reading purposes. I tried the Ipad 3 of my friend and i couldn't see myself enjoin it for a larger period of time.

Hence the clear choice was XTZ . However, after enjoying the quality of apps on ios and its smoothness, i have decided to wait for Ipad 5 which should hopefully be lighter.

http://www.ibtimes.com/apple-ipad-5...ite-being-wrong-about-wwdc-2013-release-date#

2. macrumors 65816

Mr_Brightside_@

I guess you could say you've decided to weight for the iPad 5.

3. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

OH...shame on you!:(

;) :p

4. macrumors 65816

Mr_Brightside_@

This topic is getting too heavy for me.

5. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

You will be punished for taking the gravity of this issue so lightly...

6. macrumors 65816

Mr_Brightside_@

You post so quickly Shrink. You're on a different scale than me.

7. macrumors 6502a

That IB Times link is over two weeks old, and everyone knows a rumor expires after 5 hours...LOL!

8. macrumors G3

That's why I went for the iPad mini. Also the size of the mini was perfect for holding in one hand.

9. macrumors 6502

iPad 5 should be a tad lighter, but only a tad. If you can't bear the weight with the iPad 3 or 4, than forget it. It will not be that much lighter that you will stop complaining about the weight for reading. It just won't happen with a slight decrease in weight with the new ipad 5. Stick with the Mini or wait for the iPad Mind 2 and see what it has to offer.

10. macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Using a 3rd gen iPad for over a year I can honestly say that the weight is horrible. I love it, it is great for everything else (if not a lil slow). It is simply too heavy for me to want to use it all that much. Resisted the iPad mini because i hope the next full sized iPad will see a weight reduction.

I am sure it will.

11. macrumors regular

12. macrumors 68040

Guess you need to define 'much lighter'. Rumors lead many to believe it will be.

13. macrumors G3

Wait until the 5 and if its not sufficiently light, get a hugely discounted 4.

14. macrumors 6502

As someone said above, I have both an iPad 3 and an iPad mini and everyday wish that the ipad 3 was lighter and that the ipad mini had a better display.
    Hopefully either the ipad 5 or the next gen ipad mini will do this.
    I think I'd choose a retina ipad mini over a lighter ipad 5. It'd be choosing between 2 retina screens, with one of them being lighter and smaller. I don't think any extra performance increase with the ipad 5 would be worth the extra portability of the mini for me.

15. macrumors regular

How is 150gm-180gm going to be classified as a tad ( thats nearly a weight equivalent to 1 and another half of an iPhone). Its 101% sure that 150g is being shaved off. Could be the best thing that ever happened to the full size ipad.

but i agree with you that its not going to be so light as the mini or kindle reader, but cmon, weight loss of that kind is purely amazing.

im concerned about the thinness and heat dissipation with the modified A6X / A7X and other performance abilities along with retina in the thin profile.

16. macrumors 6502a

I agree with others here that the size and weight of the iPad mini is ideal and the screen on the iPad 4 is ideal.

I currently have an iPad 2. I'm seriously considering getting an iPad 5 once they are released.

17. macrumors 6502

After a short period of time holding the slightly (My words) or amazingly weight loss as you mentioned, you will still hear from those that think its still too heavy. Human nature I guess. A tad for me may not be a tad for others. But for me with my post, it's just a little bit less over the current model. If one wants a light weight tablet, one has to go for the Mini instead. ;) It will be nice to have but it won't matter for me since I can handle the current iPad 4 just fine.

18. macrumors 68040

I think it will be more an issue of portability than weight for many, Mini 2 verus iPad 5.

I really like slinging around the Mini during the warm weather in my cargo shorts pocket. Will not be able to do that with the iPad 5. :)

No, I do not consider the iPad 4 heavy per se BUT it gets awkward and not very comfortable to hold or handle after awhile.

19. thread starter macrumors regular

srkmish

But they will absolutely have to make it lighter atleast in ipad 6, if not in 5. XTZ has now set the standard for big tablets being lightweight. And Samsung and others will follow. Apple will have to follow suit.

Hence, i will wait for Ipad 5 . If it is still not to my liking , ill pick up XTZ or maybe Samsung would have come up with something by that time.

20. macrumors member

Try a Phillips Easel Case. You can balance an iPad on one knee with one of these for hand-free reading.

21. macrumors regular

I prefer the iPad mini now for most things except watching media anything else the mini is the way forward.

22. macrumors 6502

For those who like to run a keyboard case/folio, any weight reduction will be appreciated!