Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
I had started a thread earlier regarding weight issues of larger ipad. Some were very comfortable using their ipads for long duration of time while some preferred the mini. I myself have a mini and love it .

However, for better mags/pdfs experience i was torn between ipad4/ Nexus 10/ XTZ.

Personally ,it has dawned on me that to really enjoy a tablet it has to be light especially for reading purposes. I tried the Ipad 3 of my friend and i couldn't see myself enjoin it for a larger period of time.

Hence the clear choice was XTZ . However, after enjoying the quality of apps on ios and its smoothness, i have decided to wait for Ipad 5 which should hopefully be lighter.

http://www.ibtimes.com/apple-ipad-5...ite-being-wrong-about-wwdc-2013-release-date#

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Personally ,it has dawned on me that to really enjoy a tablet it has to be light especially for reading purposes. I tried the Ipad 3 of my friend and i couldn't see myself enjoin it for a larger period of time.
That's why I went for the iPad mini. Also the size of the mini was perfect for holding in one hand.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
iPad 5 should be a tad lighter, but only a tad. If you can't bear the weight with the iPad 3 or 4, than forget it. It will not be that much lighter that you will stop complaining about the weight for reading. It just won't happen with a slight decrease in weight with the new ipad 5. Stick with the Mini or wait for the iPad Mind 2 and see what it has to offer.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Using a 3rd gen iPad for over a year I can honestly say that the weight is horrible. I love it, it is great for everything else (if not a lil slow). It is simply too heavy for me to want to use it all that much. Resisted the iPad mini because i hope the next full sized iPad will see a weight reduction.

I am sure it will.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
iPad 5 should be a tad lighter, but only a tad. If you can't bear the weight with the iPad 3 or 4, than forget it. It will not be that much lighter that you will stop complaining about the weight for reading. It just won't happen with a slight decrease in weight with the new ipad 5. Stick with the Mini or wait for the iPad Mind 2 and see what it has to offer.

Guess you need to define 'much lighter'. Rumors lead many to believe it will be.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
As someone said above, I have both an iPad 3 and an iPad mini and everyday wish that the ipad 3 was lighter and that the ipad mini had a better display.
Hopefully either the ipad 5 or the next gen ipad mini will do this.
I think I'd choose a retina ipad mini over a lighter ipad 5. It'd be choosing between 2 retina screens, with one of them being lighter and smaller. I don't think any extra performance increase with the ipad 5 would be worth the extra portability of the mini for me.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012

How is 150gm-180gm going to be classified as a tad ( thats nearly a weight equivalent to 1 and another half of an iPhone). Its 101% sure that 150g is being shaved off. Could be the best thing that ever happened to the full size ipad.

but i agree with you that its not going to be so light as the mini or kindle reader, but cmon, weight loss of that kind is purely amazing.

im concerned about the thinness and heat dissipation with the modified A6X / A7X and other performance abilities along with retina in the thin profile.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I agree with others here that the size and weight of the iPad mini is ideal and the screen on the iPad 4 is ideal.

I currently have an iPad 2. I'm seriously considering getting an iPad 5 once they are released.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
How is 150gm-180gm going to be classified as a tad ( thats nearly a weight equivalent to 1 and another half of an iPhone). Its 101% sure that 150g is being shaved off. Could be the best thing that ever happened to the full size ipad.

but i agree with you that its not going to be so light as the mini or kindle reader, but cmon, weight loss of that kind is purely amazing.

im concerned about the thinness and heat dissipation with the modified A6X / A7X and other performance abilities along with retina in the thin profile.

After a short period of time holding the slightly (My words) or amazingly weight loss as you mentioned, you will still hear from those that think its still too heavy. Human nature I guess. A tad for me may not be a tad for others. But for me with my post, it's just a little bit less over the current model. If one wants a light weight tablet, one has to go for the Mini instead. ;) It will be nice to have but it won't matter for me since I can handle the current iPad 4 just fine.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
After a short period of time holding the slightly (My words) or amazingly weight loss as you mentioned, you will still hear from those that think its still too heavy. Human nature I guess. A tad for me may not be a tad for others. But for me with my post, it's just a little bit less over the current model. If one wants a light weight tablet, one has to go for the Mini instead. ;) It will be nice to have but it won't matter for me since I can handle the current iPad 4 just fine.

I think it will be more an issue of portability than weight for many, Mini 2 verus iPad 5.

I really like slinging around the Mini during the warm weather in my cargo shorts pocket. Will not be able to do that with the iPad 5. :)

No, I do not consider the iPad 4 heavy per se BUT it gets awkward and not very comfortable to hold or handle after awhile.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013

But they will absolutely have to make it lighter atleast in ipad 6, if not in 5. XTZ has now set the standard for big tablets being lightweight. And Samsung and others will follow. Apple will have to follow suit.

Hence, i will wait for Ipad 5 . If it is still not to my liking , ill pick up XTZ or maybe Samsung would have come up with something by that time.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
I prefer the iPad mini now for most things except watching media anything else the mini is the way forward.

esskay

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
For those who like to run a keyboard case/folio, any weight reduction will be appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.