Deciding between a Samsung 19" and Dell 24"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kalns, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

I have a macbook right now and I'll be getting a mac pro within the next two years. I'm looking for a bigger monitor and I have a bit of a dilemma. I really want to get a monitor that I can use for a variety of things (hence why the 24" Dell would be great). BUT I found a 19" widescreen Samsung for only 175.00.

Now price is somewhat of an issue for me because I'm trying to pay off my debt, but I'm also trying to think long term. I'm a filmmaker and eventually I'm going to be using Final Cut Pro on this thing. That Dell is awfully nice, but the Samsung is awfully cheap. What do you think would be the best value?

Oh, and also, would the Macbook even work on the 24" Dell?

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Yes, it would work. Why not compromise and get one halfway in between? You can get a 1680 x 1050 widescreen 21" display for less than the Dell 24" and not too much more than the 19, which is likely only 1440 x 900 (if it's widescreen). Still great for editing, but won't break the bank as much.

3. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

Well my reason for going with the Dell would be the component inputs so I wouldn't have to use a VGA transcoder and I don't think the 20" monitor has those.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Ah, well you didn't explicitly mention feeding HD (or other component signals) to it. Although, I hear there are some issues with Dell's component inputs. I keep hearing good things about Gateway's new 24" display though. Maybe that'd be worth looking into?

5. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

6. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

7. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Hope you weren't wanting the one with an integrated ATSC tuner as described—according to the reviews there on the Amazon patge that doesn't exactly exist yet.

8. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

Yeah that doesn't bother me. I only watch one channel (Turner Classic Movies) anyway. It'll be hooked up through cable. By the time everything is digital I'll use this just as an office TV or something and get a 1080P TV for the living room.

9. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. ;)

10. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

*sigh* sadly Boss Jim Gettys put my newsletter out of commission....permanently. :(