Deciding on Powerbook carrying case, need help...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by evilsprung, Apr 10, 2003.

1. evilsprung macrumors member

Hi all,
    Second posting to the newsgroups so please be kind. Anyways, I'm looking into getting a carrying case for my new 12" PB and so far I've narrowed it down to the ones sold by Willow Design, willow-design.com. They seem like a good candidate because of the snug fit. But I want to know what all you people think about this company?
    I've looked over there site dozens of times and I'm scared to order from them because they just seem shady. So if you could please help out that would be great. Plus, I'd like to ask what are some other carrying cases that I might've missed out on?

Thanks.

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I would strongly suggest you take a look at www.sjdesign.com.

The lapdog, laptrap and backoffice are all great bags. I have a lapdog that I loved, but just replaced with a backoffice. Plus, they have bags designed for students.

The biggest fear I always have had is dropping my computer when I remove it from the bag. With these, you don't have to take the computer out.

As for the company being stable, I've seen their facilities and know their owner.

3. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

i d go for branthaven ( look on the apple site ), they are nice, not to expensive and useful.

4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I've heard Timbuk2 recommended before. The people who posted about them loved 'em.

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i have a timbuk2 case and sleeve for my iBook and I love it. I also think you should hold off because timbuk2 is releasing their new compouter bags very soon and i'm expecitng they will be impressive as always.

6. evilsprung thread starter macrumors member

But how snug are those bags? If you look at the willow design one it's really snug, so there's no room for it moving around. Any more thoughts?

7. Wano macrumors 6502

I have the Timbuk2 bag and it's aboslutely the best, most stylish computer bag that i have ever seen...it gives it that unique look that apple and you as an apple owner deserve. I haven't got my powerbook yet so I dont know how it fits in it, but I suppose it will fit snug but not so snug that you will have to force it out.

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

i agree...however crumpler also has pretty good bags i think their website is http://www.crumpler.com.au

9. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

I hate to make your decision even harder, but the bags from Waterfield Design (http://www.sfbags.com) are incredible. I had one of their sleeves for my old iBook and it never ceased to amaze me how insanely well made it was. The Waterfield bags are also really cool, but not self-consciously hip like the Timbuk2 bags can be. I'd really recommend checking them out. :)

10. evilsprung thread starter macrumors member

Hmm some of those cases werent too bad, what do you people think about brenthaven?

11. Caspa macrumors member

12. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

13. ian559 macrumors member

I know you will laugh at me but I got my new bag for my 12" powerbook at compusa.
    Its a targus portable dvd bag.
    Now befor you laugh I think it rocks. The powerbook fits nice and snug and the straps hold it down great. On the fron is a zip down compartment that holds a ton of Cds or DVDs
    Also there are 2 pockets that fit my power supply and my tiny mouse in its case.

I had been hunting local stores for 3 weeks looking for a case. The apple rep at my compusa laughed his ass off when he saw it fit in this 29.95 case. He grabbed one for his powerbook too after he saw how it fit. I figured I would spend at least 90 but at 29.95 I am happy to use this one.

14. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I absolutely HATE Brenthaven bags! I used to have one for my iBook (12", same size as your PB) and the bag was horrible! It was the worst computer bag I've ever owned.

I have a Timbuk2 Sleeve for my iBook, and it fits amazingly. The iBook is very snug and comfortable. I'm probably going to be ordering a new Timbuk2 Messenger bag within a few weeks. Timbuk2 products are great!

15. brdoco macrumors member

i've got a brenthaven bag, and i love it. the best part about it is that the bag has a (removable) sleeve inside it for the pb. plus, tons of pockets.

16. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

i had the Brenthaven, it was my first case when i had my TiBook. good protection, awesome storage. but after seeing a Zero Halliburton it was just too ugly for me. http://www.z-case.com
    i bought one of these and never looked back.

17. evilsprung thread starter macrumors member

Yeah those z-cases look sweet, but I dont really have that kind of cash to spend. :( Anyways, I'm stilly trying to find a burly case yet at a fairly affordable price. So far I'm thinking of the Brenthaven Pro 12 Shoulder since Apple is pretty much recommending it off there site. What do you people think? Is it worth 150? Thanks.

18. Caddy macrumors member

Hi,

Can someone tell me if the Timbuktu Pork bag is good for the 12 powerbook? Also, is it made of pigskin (I don't eat pigs).

Would you recommend that or the sleeve?
    Thanks.

19. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

20. Steradian macrumors 6502

21. Caddy macrumors member

Hi guys, do you think those old mac cases designed for the calm ibook would fit powerbook G4 nicely, I really love the colors.