Deciding on which Camcorder to get

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iBookG4user, Mar 25, 2007.

1. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I decided I want a nice cheap digital camcorder that can record decent video and take some photos also. I like the Point and Shoot designs the best for camcorders. My budget is tentative right now, but it looks to be about $200 right now. Here are the models I'm looking at:

Aiptek MZ-DV-MPEG4

Aiptek MPVR 6MP MPEG4

I am not biased to any brand and suggestions are welcome.

2. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I decided to get the Aiptek MPVR a couple days ago and it is great for what I wanted it for. It takes decent pictures, although it struggles a bit with dark images and very light images. The video recording works pretty well, although I really haven't messed with that much, but having D1 resolution (720 x 480) is nice, instead of using VGA resolution (640 x 480). The only thing I've really done with the video recording feature is panning around my room and it did that well. I'm not going to mess with the MP3 playback feature as I already have an iPod Video. I really like the overall feel of the camcorder, it feels a lot better than the traditional design of camcorder that I've used before. All in all it was well worth the $150 I spent on it at Target, I highly recommend it. (Target had it in the store and that was a lot more convenient that buying it online and waiting for shipping.)