deciding whether to buy Tiger Woods 2005...

Discussion in 'Games' started by proverbs, Sep 20, 2005.

1. proverbs macrumors 6502

i was reading in the current Macworld that Tiger Woods 2005 came out, so i was planning to go buy it this week. then i see a commercial for TW 2006 for PS2! now i'm not sure if i want 2005.

anyone know the differences in the mac 2005 and the ps2 2006? i was thinking if there are really cool new features on the 2006, i might just get it for my ps2 instead of my mac.

2. sreedy macrumors 6502a

I guess you should checkout the EA Sports website and take a look at the new '06 features..... it's down at the minute.

I've been playing the '05 Mac Free Demo of 4 holes. Great little game.

3. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Go w/ the console '06 version. It's supposedly got some major gameplay improvments (mainly dealing w/ the controls). Here's a link to gamespot's page for it :http://www1.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/tigerwoodspgatour2006/index.html

But just to be safe, you might want to wait a few more days for the online reviews to come filtering in. I read on the gamespot board that the supposedly more challenging control scheme is a load of bs, and that people were getting ridiculously low scores. But who knows, it's the internet, and you can't believe 90% of what's floating around out there. Wait for the reviews, then decide.

4. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I am definitely buying TW 2006, but on the GameCube. My friend bought TW 2005 on PS2 (before I upgraded from 2004 to 2005 on my GC) and we hated it. Though I think that is mainly d/t the PS2 controllers. So a week later he bought the GC version (and so did I). For us it just seems to be a better game with the GC controllers (though everything else is probably the same). I'm sure the PS2 version will be better than the Mac version though.
    Can't wait for TW 2007 on Nintendo Revolution with those controllers :)

5. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I basically beat TW 05 on the xbox (110% on all stats w/ all four bonus balls in each). It's a fun game if you like golf, and the best in the series so far.

The new control scheme for 06 is based around the idea of draws and fades in real golf. Good golfers can strike the ball such that it moves slightly right to left or left to right in air. This allows them to tailor each shot the the layout they face. In 06 the second analog stick allows you to apply this same principle in the videogame. Should be cool, and a very handy feature.

Personally, I think these games are waaaay too easy. There are a number of fundamental problems with the controls as is. One, no one can apply spin after striking the ball. Two, no one can put enough backspin on a 3-iron shot to make it come back 20+ feet when it hits. Three, spin is mostly dictated by course conditions and not by a golfers skill. Four, most pros miss 50% of their puts from 8 feet. Why can I make every 80 footer in the game?

I think EA should use the sholder buttons to apply spin during the swing. Once you've hit the ball, you should have zero control over it. Also, shooting 70 at Pebble Beach should be very hard, and only possible with high stats and perfect execution. Players should start out shooting in the 100's, not the high 70's.

/rant

6. proverbs thread starter macrumors 6502

yea, i might just get it for my PS2 then. it's sad that mac games come out a year later then everyone else.

btw, where'd you get that TW 2005 Demo at?

7. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

have you been playing it on your ibook? and if so how well does it run, because i want to try it but my ibook barley meets the requirements

8. sreedy macrumors 6502a

I'm not too sure it could have been a MacUser CoverDisk or from the Apple Website unser games..... that's my two main sources of stuff like this!

The game play is great and I have no real issues on my iBook (G4, 1.2ghz, 768MB RAM), playing on the trackpad is a bit of a pain but I "borrowed" a USB Mouse of one of the Dells in my Office :)

The only place the graphics get a little choppy is when tiger does his little practice swings and after shot celebrations...... as it doesn't effect the game play it doesn't bother me...... but I expect it would bother some people!

9. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Have you guys seen the TV commercial for this game? Where Tiger's standing there waiting for a guy to putt, and when he tries to putt his legs shake so much from being nervous! Pretty funny....

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I have Tiger 05 for the DS and I enjoy it. Not exactly the same, but it's still fun.

11. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I have it, and enjoy it. But there are some bugs that prevent the game from launching certain events. Multiplayer through direct IP rules though!

12. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

thanx man im probaly going to go buy it then