Deciding which PB, rev. D or C.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by walkerIV, Feb 17, 2005.

1. walkerIV macrumors member

Hello All,

What would you go for:
    12" rev C with 768RAM and superdrive (1.33Ghz, 60 gig 4200)
    or 12" rev D standard with combo (1.5Ghz, 60 gig 5400)

Both are new, the price is basically the same(rev C is cheaper by $10).
    Rev D is available "when it comes"(tm), rev C is sitting on the shelf.

Main use would include mostly programming and analyzing large quantities of information from huge(over 1gig) text files for atomic trajectories.

The main concern is better harddrive in the new generation, are there any benchmarks to its usefulness?

Sorry if this topic has been brought up before, still I would greatly appreciate some opinions.

2. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Given your intended usage, I'd favour the rev. D, for the faster processor and hard drive. If you find that you're needing more than the standard 512MB of RAM at a later date, you can always take out the removable 256MB DIMM and replace it with 512MB, or better still, 1GB.

You've not drawn attention to the lack of a SuperDrive in the rev. D option, so I guess that's not too much of an issue. If you find you need to burn DVDs in the future, you can always pick up an external burner.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

3. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

As you've already said there is little difference between them (specs and price) but i would get the Rev D. I personally always go with whatever is the best thing out at the time - it seems to last that little bit longer in the long run.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

4. walkerIV thread starter macrumors member

Update.

So it's been a month since the Powerbook rev D. has been ordered.
    According to the store's manager it has not been shipped yet by Apple.
    They don't know when it will happen. Hopefully before WWDC :)

The rev C. is long gone naturally.
    Getting to a point of aggravating by now.
    Oh well.

Has anyone in Canada got a rev D. 12" PB through educational channels?

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

*joins choir* Rev D. for all the reasons everyone else has said.

6. shane-o-mac macrumors regular

shane-o-mac

I am not sure I understand? My Apple store gets all the new equipment as soon as it comes online. I just called them yesterday to make sure they have the new 6g Ipod Minis in stock and they were like "Sure, we got them when they first came out." So double check with your apple stores, if nothing else the shipping time from apple for the new powerbooks is 3-5 days curently.

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Rev. D because of the SMS stuff for the hard drive. With the iScroll 2 hacked drivers, my PowerBook scrolls even better than the Rev. Ds do (2 fingers down means I can right-click :D yay!) but the SMS is the one thing I wish I had.

Basically, it would allow me to close the PowerBook and not fear moving it until I saw that light. I could place it in my backpack and allow it to finish off there instead of on the desk. And also for peace of mind.

8. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

9. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I've read in other posts that the 12" Rev. C screen is better than that of the Rev. D. I had a Rev. C 1.33 and it was awesome. I'd recommend it, if it's cheaper.

10. SurfAddict macrumors member

SurfAddict

Umm No

You read wrong its the exact same screen sorry if I sound rude. As far as which book to get I say grab the Rev. D for all the other reasons stated plus because I love mine see sig. :confused: