Decision: Refurb MBP CD or New MBP C2D

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Planner Dude, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

I am an Urban Planner who utilizes ESRI's ArcGIS, AtLast's (Google's) SKETCHUP, and some AutoCAD. Some of these programs only work in WinDoze XP, so I'll need bootcamp or parallels.

I'd also edit videos, pictures and I’d like to play the occasional game (SIMCITY 4, Civilization, Spore, etc.) I might even use it for a Tivo-like devise, and editing / composing music.

Basically I feel that I could get by with a MacBook, except I feel that I’d need the dedicated GPU of a MacBook Pro.

My plan was to wait for the MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo and then buy a refurbed Core Duo. I can get the refurb for $1,449 US.

What I am wondering is if it is worth my time or money to wait for a refurb Core2 Duo??

Here are the two models:

Refurbished MacBook Pro, 15-inch Matte Display, 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
    15.4-inch glossy widescreen display (1440x900 resolution)
    512MB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    80GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
    Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory
    Built-in iSight Camera
    Front Row and Apple Remote

Price: $1,449.00

New MacBook Pro, 15 -inch
    * 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 1440 x 900 pixels
    * 1GB memory
    * 120GB hard drive1
    * 6x double-layer SuperDrive
    * ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB SDRAM
    $1,799.00

Any help you can give me will be greatly

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Let's see

C2D has:

-Faster processor
    -More L2 cache
    -40GB more HDD space (invaluable for video editing btw)
    -2x the RAM
    -DL DVD Burner

I'd say the C2D no question. It's worth the extra couple hundred...especially if you plan on doing any games or video editing.

3. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

"No question"?!? We're not talking a couple of hundred dollars. We're talking $350! The "faster" processor is only marginally so (and I'm not sure it is discernably so).

What if you consider the MBP CD for $1499?

same RAM
    only 20GB less hard drive space
    and MORE video memory (256MB)

all for $300 less than an educ. MBP C2D.

of course, if you don't qualify for the educ. discount, this becomes an even harder decision.

4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

If you read the original post, there are a lot of hard drive space intensive uses there, so your option of a MB with 20GB less space is even more illogical. He asked for opinions, my opinion is that the features I listed are worth the extra cost in my opinion based on the points of the OP.

5. budugu macrumors 6502

If you can get the 1400$ model then fine ... any thing more than that, just bite the bullet and get the new one (esp if you have an edu discount).

6. Planner Dude thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd definitaly get the $1499 MBP CD over the $1449 MBP CD if it is available....yesterday when I created this post it wasn't.

I guess what I am trying to find out is:

Am I missing out on some great technology that will far exceed my expectations of the MBP CD by saving $350 US?

For some reason, I find a huge psycological barrier to paying more than $1,500 US for a laptop.

If you throw applecare in the mix, I'm paying $1,700 for CD and over $2,000 for the C2D.

I guess I could wait for the refurb C2D though.....

anyone have any other thoughts about this????

7. kumbaya macrumors regular

C2D is 64 bit. To my mind, that adds in a bit of futureproofing for Leopard and beyond. Also, as a 'Rev B' I would imagine the innards of the computer would be improved which should add to the longevity of the computer.

I also like that the new 15" C2D MBP has a FW800 port.

YMMV :)

8. cb31 macrumors member

You don't know how lucky you are, I was in my local Apple store last night and the cheapest Macbook Pro was £1399 which is about $2700. Huge difference.

9. BII macrumors member

If you're going to wait for an update to the MBP to buy the c2d refurbed, I can imagine you'll be waiting a while. If you can wait, then wait I suppose.

10. Planner Dude thread starter macrumors 6502

So is it true 64 bit??

I have heard some discussions that somehowsay it's quasi 64 bit?

Do you think the soon to be released MacBook Core2 Duo will fair well to the 1st gen MacBook Pro?

11. The Shady macrumors member

$350 difference. assume 1gb ram costs $100 and 120gb hdd costs $130, so you're at a difference of $120. you also have an extra 512mb stick of ram and 80gb hdd sitting there now. buy a 2.5" external case for about $30 and you have added storage for backup and stuff. so it looks like the cd mbp is the way to go.

ps - i started this post with the intention of recommending the c2d mbp, but the numbers began to prove otherwise. i went with the c2d mbp because of resale value, better cooling, rev B, 1gb standard ram, and overall sexiness

12. Planner Dude thread starter macrumors 6502

I wouldn't wait for another revison to buy the refurb c2d. I'd just wait for them to be in the refurb store....isn't typically about a month or so? I figured I might be able to get the refurb c2d for $50-$100 less than the education price?

I guess my options are:

Refurb MB $1,099
    Refurb MBP $1,499
    Education MBP C2D $1,799

or wait for

Education MB C2D (Soon) $1,199???
    Refurb MBP C2D $1,699???

13. cecildk9999 macrumors regular

cecildk9999

Why not go for this one:

Refurbished MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo
    15.4-inch widescreen display (1440x900 resolution)
    1GB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    100GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
    Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory
    Built-in iSight Camera
    Front Row and Apple Remote

Your price: $1,599.00

For $200 less, you the better graphics card and the same amount of memory as the new base MBP model. I don't see buying the 64 bit as a 'future proofing' tool just yet, since by the time it becomes really relevant to the things you or I would use it for, you'll be looking to upgrade again. Just a thought.