Decision Time?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by getti, Aug 17, 2006.

  1. getti macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 12, 2006
    #1
    I have a mid range MacBook and a Intel iMac but its kinda annoying having some things on 1 and not the other. Then when i work on a file on the main PC i need to update it on the MacBook.

    Something i thought about for a while was selling both machines and getting a MacBook Pro and later on get a 20" Cinema Display so when i am at home I get the larger screen whilst having all my work in 1 place wherever i go.

    What would you macheads think about this plan?. MacBook cant really be my only machine as it cant plug into a large screen if needed and the graphics are limited.

    If i am right about RAM its the same so i can stick the original 512 back in my Macbook to sell and put my 2GB in the MacBook Pro.

    Thanks for any help/advise
     
  2. clayj macrumors 604

    clayj

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2005
    Location:
    visiting from downstream
    #2
    Sounds like a good plan to me. With the proceeds from selling your MacBook and your Intel iMac, you shouldn't have any trouble getting a MBP, a nice external display, and possibly even an external HD (for use at home and only for files that can STAY at home, like music files, or for backups).
     
  3. getti thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 12, 2006
    #3
    That was also my plan (to get a drive for backups) but forgot to mention it :D

    So when i come in and i want to load stuff off it i can just plug it in and access it.

    One thing i noticed with the MacBOok is it gets rather hot. Running CoreDuoTemp its normally around 65-75C but touch the bottom and it would be quite bad.

    Is this the same problem on the Pro?
     
  4. Dafke macrumors 6502

    Dafke

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2005
    #4
    wait for merom, the faster and less power consumpting processor due to arrive next moth in a Macbook Pro near you.

    i think the idea of heaving just one computer is good, that's what i want too :)
     
  5. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 26, 2006
    #5
    The Macbook can handle a display such as the 23 inch ACD just fine. Also the GPU in the Macbook is not that bad so unless you're some serious gamer it should be fine. The MBPs also get pretty warm, which is typical for any powerful notebook.
     
  6. quruli macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    #6
    Ditch the iMac ASAP. It will most likely be getting updated next month. You are going to lose some value if that is the case.

    Same with the Macbook, no one knows when it is happening. It is probably safe to assume that the MBP will get merom first.

    So ditch the iMac, when MBP is released with merom, ditch the MB and buy the MBP.

    Everyone is happy. :D
     
  7. getti thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 12, 2006
    #8
    Is there MUCH difference between the 2 types of CPU?. I was planning a purchase next week if both sold.
     
  8. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 26, 2006
    #9
    No, just a small improvement in performance when using very CPU intensive apps. Oh and also 64bit processing which is just totally overhyped.
     
  9. Dafke macrumors 6502

    Dafke

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2005
    #10
    well, i would wait. next revision means less problems.
     
  10. getti thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 12, 2006
    #11
    One issue i had with my MacBook has now been fixed. The heat is now at a better level thanks to a firmware upgrade
     

Share This Page