Decisions About Imac!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cujoca, Nov 18, 2006.

1. cujoca macrumors regular

I went to the Apple Store with my dad last night and we were looking at iMac's.
    We were pretty much sold on the 20" before we got there then we saw the 24"!
    This is going to be my computer for my room so I was wondering what you guys think? To get the 20" with 2gb ram 2.16Ghz CPU and 256mb video card its $1877 CAD. On the other hand if i were to substitute upgrading ram to 2gb and video card to 256 on the 24", the base model would cost $2049. What do you guys think I should do? I know i can upgrade the ram later on the 24" but i know I can never change the screen size!

Thanks

2. Sam* macrumors regular

Sam*

Personally i think 24" is too big espically in a bedroom and to be sitting in front of l

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

If you can afford it, buy the bigger iMac. You said you were upgrading the video card to the 7600 - that's a good move, with the 7300GT I'd say meh but the better video card is really going to help if you like to play games or run another external monitor someday.

4. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

My parents seem to think its too big, what do you think? Personally, I think its cause there used to something smaller!

5. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Sam is correct about the 24" being too big. I work with 19" monitors at work and I have a 17" monitor at home (in my spare bedroom).

The 19" is way too big, it hurts my eyes at times. The bad thing about it is that I can not sit farther away than I am now due to my work.

The 17" inch monitor at home also seems a bit too big in the bedroom. Unless you are watching videos from far away, I think the 24" will be more than what you actually would need.
    But it is a matter of preferences.

6. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

i'm using it for some video editing (mostly iMovie) and some photoshop and all the other basics...

7. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Get the 24". Seriously.

It is an awesome machine - it's a beast. Seriouslllly! It's a great machine.

You'll love the extra screen space - I do video editing, and I HATE working on my iMac 17"... just too small of a screen.

I'd die for a 24".

If you can upgrade the RAM to 2GB & the video card to a 7600GT 256MB'er.

You won't regret it. At all.

8. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

I personally think you can never have big enough. My 20" ACD seems TINY now I've had it a few weeks - and really want the 23" instead!! Then I have to use someone elses 15 inch 1024 x 768! Eegh!

It's basically what you get used to I guess, but real estate is prime, so I'd go for the 24 after all, you can get more ram later!

9. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The benefit of the 24" is having that extra space to view all your control surfaces
    within the application or with plugins.

It also helps with full size 2 page layouts.

You also get the F/W 800 connectivity in the 24" wich is great for back-up.

I'm running a Dell 24" and now can't imagine spending any extended time period
    working with a smaller display unless I was using a laptop.

I also love the fact that I can kick back in my chair and zoom the text of web pages so I can read them without having to be so close.

Apple's price on the 2 GB RAM upgrade is reasonable enough, where I'd be inclined to go for it with your order.

The 24" also allows you to upgrade the VRAM later if 256 MB leaves you wanting.

10. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I'm with the 'get the 24" crowd.' I suppose it depends on what you do. I use illustrator, flash, dreamweaver, and FCP regularly and anything below 20" is a strain imo. All of these programs have lots of floating panes and on a small screen it's a headache to move them around and out of the way all the time. At any rate 20" is adequate - 24" is comfortable.. 30" is..:D

YT

11. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

HOW DO I CONVINCE MY DAD THOUGH? I need some positive stories so I can convince him its worth it!

Sorry about all of this...Thanks though in advance!

12. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

My neighbors have been lifetime Windows users at work for the past 15 years.

After she took her new MacBook Pro to the office and showed the IT administrator how easily she could network between her home and the P/C server at work via VPN and Microsoft Remote Desktop,
    the IT administrator bought one.

They quickly discovered that they will not need to dual boot for any of their dedicated Windows Only office applications or databases by using Parallels Desktop.

Any personal internet connections will be confined strictly to Mac OSX providing much better security to their secure network.

Everyone also appreciates system wide spell checker and the ability to video
    conference or podcast presentations with ease.

13. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Tell him you deserve it!

Tell him with the specs it has and the brilliant display, it's worth it - best deal on the market, that kinda stuff. :)

Good luck! :eek:

14. CatharticFlux macrumors member

I have to go ahead and vote with the 24" or bust group. There is absolutely no substitute for lots and lots of screen 'real estate'. Everytime I upgrade monitor sizes I feel happier, then again, that kinda sounds like I have unresolved issues.

15. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

While many of us feel that other people's money is no object, why don't you start by telling us what you want this computer to do. There are some good reasons for having a lot of screen space, but none that you really need if you are not old enough to pay for your own computer. Get a smaller machine and upgrade the RAM. You don't need to upgrade the video memory. I have a 17" iMac, and while it looks like a toy sitting next to the larger versions in the store, it is fine sitting on my desk. Best wishes.

16. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

i always go for the best at the time.
    so id get the 24"

17. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

Bigger is always better when it comes to screen size on a computer. I'd always buy the bigger screen as if I don't like how big it is.. I'll just push is back a little more. Regardless, your going to want to be away from the computer at least 2+ feet or more to save your eyes, I find myself sitting about 3 feet away from the screen and sometimes a little more.

18. Sam* macrumors regular

Sam*

i sit like 2.5 feet away from my 17" crt and that is still to close for my liking (but it cant go back no further), i couldnt imagine having a 24" screen there, my eyes would die, even 20" sounds big to me,

a 17" lcd is what i feel is more than adiquate!(sp)

If you dont need the screen space, then i feel theres no need to have it and you will save some money at the same time