Decisions Decisions: MB, MBP, iMac ahhh!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kevin.rivers, May 20, 2006.

  1. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a


    Dec 4, 2005
    Hello everyone. I have been using macs for about a year. I came from the land of fixing PC's and I must say. I love the MAC :p . Anyhow. My first mac was a 12" iBook g4. Then I came into posession of a 15" Powerbook G4, for free none the less! I love it... but it is too big. I have been for the Macbook launch and now it is here however I am conflicted.

    My Powerbook is currently on eBay, I will be getting between $1500 and $1650 for it. I want to use that money and get the 2.0Ghz Macbook. I am getting the base 2.0Ghz and doing my own upgrades. There are a few things I do not like about the Macbook. Mostly heat....

    The graphics trouble me a bit... I am not a gamer but I somehow feel apprehension toward buying it especially since a new Rev may come within the next few months and have something better. Then there is Merom, which may hit the Macbook. I know I could wait forever, but jumping in on Rev A is a little scary, especially hearing about heat, whining, and mooing.

    I am also pondering a MBP, however I really think 15" is too big, because I am not in love with my current Powerbook as far as size goes. However, it will be a little while before I get a true desktop and I felt immensly restricted trying to edit my photography on the 12" ibook. So again, conflicted. In addition there are a slew of problems with the MBP as well. And I will have to wait and save more money.

    I also thought about the iMac since it is similar in price to the Macbook. My only gripe here is that I think I will want something a bit beefier for my real machine and the iMac is more of a desktop. So... yeah. I want to wait for Conroe mac pro's (my assumed name of the PowerMac's). So basically portability is what I am looking for.

    I realize I am answering my own questions. I really need some words of comfort for me to buy a current Intel book.

    One other thing i though about is buying a Dual g4 and a nice screen, I think both would be a good investment. I surely need a nice editing monitor as well.

    So yeah. Let's discuss and help me come to a decision.

    Oh yeah. I want to dump the Powerbook. The values have come way down in the resale market and I want to get a good price for this thing.
  2. mcpix macrumors regular

    May 13, 2005
    #2 and I are in the same boat.

    For the last 6 months I've been saving money and collecting Apple store gift cards in anticipation of the MacBook. My current laptop is a G3 iBook.

    While waiting for the MacBook I've also been looking at the Intel iMacs. Like you I need a machine for photo editing and some light video work. I actually think that the specs for the iMac are pretty amazing for the money.

    So, the MacBook was released this week and...I don't know. It's a great little laptop but I'm also worried about the heat, the screen, the new keyboard, etc. Plus I think I'd eventually like to try Aperture, and although it will run on a MacBook, Apple says it isn't "officially supported".

    However, for only $50 more than my ideal MacBook I can get a refurbished 20" iMac. The iMac has 3 times the HD space, a 20" screen, keyboard, mouse and dedicated video card. Plus it runs Aperture very well.

    Each day this week I've been ready to pull the trigger on either computer. Today started with me wondering if I should drive to the nearest Apple Store (2 hours away) to pick up a MacBook, and ended with this post and me thinking the iMac is the way to go.

    This is crazy, I need to decide!
  3. kevin.rivers thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Dec 4, 2005
    Yeah. I just took a look at the 20" iMac core duo refurb... only $1400... thats got me thinking now....

    This is a really tough decision. My head is going to explode soon.

    Waiting for the next Rev of the Intel Books seems like a good choice. Especially with Merom around the corner. Then again, the iMac would get a upgrade as well. The iMac may get a conroe though....

    I don't know that the Merom will be heaps ahead of the Core Duo. It will be faster at the same wattage and add 64-bit(snicker) but will it be immensely better... i wonder.
  4. iamhammill macrumors 6502


    Feb 20, 2006
    York, PA
    Well I think the MacBook is enough for what you'll need, and portability is awesome. However if you can afford it, a lower spec'd iMac and an older iBook would be a nice setup.

    I'm not sure I'll ever go back to a desktop. I love being able to lay in bed and watch TV and check my mail etc. I would say if you have any thought of moving your computer around get the MacBook.

    The intergrated graphics isn't that bad, I ran 1080p at 24 FPS but if you are really serious about Aperture then I would get the iMac.

    Have you thought about a refurb MBP? Sorry for throwing another option out there, but the MBP would solve the Aperture problem and your concern for integrated graphics.

  5. kevin.rivers thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Dec 4, 2005
    My problem is that I want my notebook to be a bit more portable than a 15" laptop. A MBP would be nice, however for my mobile needs it is a bit much.

    I want to marry a nice portable computer, with a powerful workstation and that will cover me. I do run aperture, photoshop, and other apps quite often.

    iBook is out of the question. Unless you mean Macbook. Money isn't really an issue for this purchase. I want to find a setup that will suit my needs.

    Games are my thing either, my graphics beef is just that something feels wrong about it. It could be from all the negative things people have been saying about it.

    The laptop will not be my main computer, however it will have to be powerful enough to be a placeholder until I can afford that more powerful machine.

    I do have the option of getting the 20" iMac refurb and picking up a Macbook later. I just have to hammer out what I want. It is very tough.
  6. kevin.rivers thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Dec 4, 2005
    I have just come to a whole new level here.

    Ok. So chances are the MB will not be getting a Merom. To create a hardware gap between MB and MBP. I am not sure on this but it makes sense.

    Second. If I can upgrade the iMac to a Merom(don't know but it is speculated) that would give a solid upgrade path for the 20" iMac.

    Which would give me time to see what is going to happen with the Notebook line and purchase down the road. Then maybe in a few years pick up a MacPro.

    This might work!
  7. THX1139 macrumors 68000


    Mar 4, 2006
    OMG, I read your post and can't help but think that you sure are picky. A 15 by 1 inch computer with dual core processors is too big?? What do you expect something with all that power to come in? iPod size? Get real. Maybe you should wait for maybe 10 years or so, then Apple might be able to produce the computer you want. Until then, just be thankful for what's available.

    The "perfect" computer. The one everyone wants, hasn't been invented yet. Until then, you have to make do or go without. Don't mean to be a dick, I'm just getting tired of reading posts such as yours - people like you are never happy.
  8. kevin.rivers thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Dec 4, 2005
    Go take some pills man. It is too big for me. I do not want a 15" notebook. The same power can be had in something else, like a power mac, or an imac. I want my notebook to be smaller. i feel more comfortable transporting it.

    I don't know who put a stick up your ass, but if you read that sentence you quoted properly, I see no reason for you to post some assinine comment.

    I am not asking for the perfect computer. The MBP is too big for me. Done. My 15" Powerbook is too big for me. So please take your angry comments somewhere else and learn how to read. Sorry, I don't mean to be a dick....


Share This Page