Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
My trusty iBook G4 finally crapped out on me (see sig). I never bothered getting AppleCare for it within the 1-year time limit (my fault) and I'm pretty sure it's the logic board that's gone bad. I definitely don't want to sink any more money into it at this point because if something goes wrong with it again I'll have to sink even more money into it...anyway...

Since this is an unexpected occurrence, I've only been able to come up with about $1,400 and am trying to decide between a 12" PowerBook G4 or Mac mini + 20" Cinema Display

I wouldn't be hesitant to go ahead and just get the PowerBook except I hear there's big problems with the new Apple trackpads, which seem to be striking 12" and 15" owners most. I'd hate to have to bring my new PowerBook back within a week.

I would consider an iMac G5, but not only are they (likely) being updated soon, but I'd want to get the 20" version and that's outside of my price range.

So, the last option is a Mac mini + 20" Cinema Display, which will give me the screen size I want if I got a desktop again, and still be within my price range.

GAH. I don't know what to do. I'd hate to be stuck to a desk again but I also hate the many things that go wrong with portables.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
LaMerVipere said:
Eh. I'm through with iBooks.
Next time, if you do get a laptop, be sure to get a stupidity insurance policy. Then if something does crap out, tell 'em it happened after you dropped it.

Don't let the fact that there are loads of bad stories going around. You're always more likely to hear the horror stories more than the success stories somewhere like this; I've not had an Apple laptop crap out on me yet, and I'm on my 4th :)

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
If you need Porability, get the Powerbook, if not, go with the Mini and buy that new 24" Dell. I don't know about US prices, but over here, it's almost the same price as the 20" ACD.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
LaMerVipere said:
My trusty iBook G4 finally crapped out on me (see sig). I never bothered getting AppleCare for it within the 1-year time limit (my fault) and I'm pretty sure it's the logic board that's gone bad. I definitely don't want to sink any more money into it at this point because if something goes wrong with it again I'll have to sink even more money into it...anyway...

I was under the impression that the logic board would be replaced anyway, if it was one of the iBooks that had the problem ... but then I wasn't interested in Macs back then so don't know if that applies only to G3 iBooks.

Anyway, I guess the question is, how portable do you want this to be? I personally would go for the PowerBook since I would need it both at home and at work.

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
plinden said:
I was under the impression that the logic board would be replaced anyway, if it was one of the iBooks that had the problem ... but then I wasn't interested in Macs back then so don't know if that applies only to G3 iBooks.
Correct, it was only for the G3's.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
LaMerVipere said:
GAH. I don't know what to do. I'd hate to be stuck to a desk again but I also hate the many things that go wrong with portables.

Since it seems to me that you are only considering a desktop because of the problems associated with portables, I would still say get a laptop. I doubt that you will get another dud laptop on top of this one. You can get a maxed out 12 inch iBook WITH AppleCare for around 1400$. But if you can settle on yourself to get a desktop, then a Mini with a Dell monitor would be a fine choice. In the end however, it just comes down to whether or not you want the portability...

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
If you had a laptop before then I would go with one again. I will be hard for you in you go with a desktop and then realize you can't take it with you :rolleyes: I did have my fair share of issues with powerbooks, but it was always the screen and never the trackpad. Both the iBook and Powerbook are very good laptops, and the powerbook is an even better buy now than it has been in quite some time. I would stick with the powerbook if you are flirting with the idea of adding an external monitor in the future. Sure, you can hack the iBook but that hack limits your video memory on the external monitor to only 16MB while with the powerbook you get the full 64MB. I say if you have the money then treat yourself to the powerbook and add an external monitor to it down the road (Dell makes some great flat pannel monitors for some really low prices). I love my powerbook and I am sure you would love yours too :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.