Decisions, Decisions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by prostuff1, Aug 15, 2005.

1. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I have a big decision to make in about 3 days. I am going back to school (college) and i want to buy a computer. I have done some math and here is what i have come up with.

First setup
    12in iBook with combo drive. I would get everything standard then upgrade the ram to max. Besides that everything else would be the same. I would get my printer and my iPod mini.

I would also be buying an iMac G5 (17in with SD). I would have everything standard and upgrade the ram with the 512 MB strip i took out of my home iMac G5 when we upgraded to 2GB. So, i would have a total of 1GB in my iMac G5.

I did all the math and with memory, rebates and all that stuff the total comes to about $3,075 (before tax).

Now my comments about this setup:
    I like this setup a lot because i get the portablilty of the iBook and the power of the G5. I plan on using the iBook in class and for presentations i will be giving in about 2 weeks about my trip to Japan. The iMac will be for storage and safe keeping, along with doing any heavy lifting that is needed. Also, if something decides to go wrong with one of the computers i have a backup that i can still use.

My questions:
    1. Would it be better to order the computers seperatly?? (like me order one and then have my grandmother order one and tell the apple people she is ordering it for me). Then i could send in the rebates for all that stuff. I would like to get the rebate for both systems. i.e. i want two iPod minis free and two discounts on printers (greedy i know). I have read through the details on the rebate coupons and it seems like it should be possible but i am not sure. I plan on selling the iPod minis along with the mini i have and one of the printers so i can buy a 20GB iPod.

Second Setup
    A 15in Powerbook. Configured with 128MB VRAM, combo, i would get applecare also. I would max out the ram on this system. I would get the printer and the iPod mini. Then sell the mini and the one i have and buy a 20GB iPod. I also plan to buy an external Dual Layer DVD burner and at least a 160 external. This total comes to about $2,930 (before tax).

Comments about this setup:
    I like this setup but am somewhat afraid that if something happens to the computer i won't have a backup. I have also heard about the updates to the powerbook line, and while that is not a huge problem, i would hate top buy something and then have it outdated in a month. I know this happens all the time, but still...

Questions about this setup:
    1. None really. This one is strait forward. No messing with the multiple reabates or anything.

SO...

Which one is the better setup?? I would like as many opinions on this as possible. I kinda like the 2 computer setup but any comments are welcome

Thanks

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

The first setup

I would choose the first setup
    1. You get more processing power and better portability.
    2. Having a backup computer is great to have.
    3. More stuff to brag about. :D
    4. More screen real estate for and power for gaming and movies on the iMac.

3. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

go with the first setup dude.....you can get 2 ipod's, and TRUST ME having a portable mac is amazing....

4. jjmaximum macrumors member

Easy decision

The first option makes buying a PB look plain silly...

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

6. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

deffo the first setup. I've got something similar, and it works exactly as you're expecting it to work. iBook for on the go stuff, presentations and just light work. iMac if you need a big screen or some horsepower.

The powerbooks are sweet, but the performance gain over the iBooks are small these days, and not imho worth the cash for the pretty silver case.

plus, if you're going to be lugging a notebook round college, the iBooks are certainly more durable - you hear of peeps dropping iBooks and getting away with it (as I have done), but you don't hear that from powerbook folk :eek: :)

7. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I wish I can do what you can do in the 1st setup. Too bad my parents told me to spend the $3,000 on ONE computer when my senior year is over. Do the 1st setup since it is a pain to carry around a PB. I dont think you need to sell the iPod mini in the back to school offer. Just use the $179 rebate towards a 30Gb iPod and use it to present powerpoints.

8. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Man that kinda sucks. Why did they say only one computer??

Anyway, i am going to get the mini becasue i can send in the rebate and then sell the mini and get about 360 all told. 179 for rebate then 179 for selling it. So 360 pays for the iPod. If i do it your way i would be paing an extra 120ish to get the 20GB iPod.

On another note, I think i am going to have a buddy that is starting college order the other computer for me and then i can pay him back. That way i get my two printers and two iPod minis. :)

9. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

setup 1 all the way, i have been juggling computers and setups, now i have a DP g5 with cinema display and just got the ibook 12"(had a pbook before and sold it) an imac is a nice machine and the ibook is great too, together they make a good tandem and two is better than one, same applies to an iPod, you can always employ the greater space, the recommendation i would give to you is to buy from the special deals page a 30gb iPod photo, it is eligable for the back to school offer(that is what i got) and it has 10gb extra space over the standard iPod with the same features and everything, it is a nice iPod and compliments my mini, good luck

10. jdechko macrumors 68040

While I think that it would be pretty cool to have both a portable and a desktop system, I would say that you go with the PowerBook. I really only have one reason that needs to be considered, and that is your files. I dont know how organized you are and what your plans would be for orgaizing your documents and music files, programs, etc. Would you have redundant files on both machines, how would you ensure that you would always have all of the files you will need. (If you think you've got all the files for a project, it would suck to get to Japan, only to realize that you left your outline on your iMac...) And backups as well, you ought to consider how youd set them up, where (external HD), etc. Just some food for thought...

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would go with the first setup-
    having both a iBook G4 & a iMac G5 would be pretty cool!

12. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

They want me to focus on school and not on computers. They want me to get another PB beacuse, "if you get a desktop, your roommate will steal it unlike your laptop since it is always with you." I have to use the money because what I dont use doesnt come back to me in cash.

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

That's a good point, but I dunno, I'm a student and I know that I love having the access to a Mac anywhere anytime w/ my PB (really rather it be an iBook) but love using a desktop more (hence my iMac). So w/ a very similar set up to the OP's scenario #1, I say it is lovely but agree w/ jdechko that sometimes it's a hassle juggling two machines (but not too bad because my laptop is really only for school stuff).

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Er... I dunno about that reasoning, though. I think it's more noticeable if someone tries to sneak out a 20"+ 35 pound iMac than a slim 15" PB that fits in backpacks and in jackets/coats. :eek:

15. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Well its my parents reasoning and anyone would be happy with a mac right? Doesnt matter if it a PB 17" or a iMac G5 and iBook

16. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Well, school for me is computers so i guess i am kinda lucky there.

17. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I have the first set up and I wouldn't swap it for the world. :)

19. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I have made my decision...

Well, thanks for everyones advice.

I have decided to go with setup one (which is the one i perfered anyway:))

I have decided to order the iMac and then have a friend (who likes PC's :( ) order the other. Then i can pay him back and he can send in all the stuff for the rebates and give them to me :). I had to make a deal with him though so he would order it. i.e. Ipod mini at discounted price, no biggy though.

thanks again for all the input. I should be ordering both in about 2 days. Can't wait!! I will probably be checking tracking every 2 hours until they get here. I just hope they don't leave it on the front porch for everyone to see like they did the family iMac :eek: .

20. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

21. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Get both setups :D

hehe.. I could imagine someone with a huge pile of iPod minis and a few printers..

22. Ph4lynx macrumors member

Hmmmm... I would probably go with the first setup, but the Powerbook setup definitly has some advantages. You have to consider wether or not you really want 2 computers. Sometimes having too many computers can be a detriment to your organization. But having the first setup would be pretty badass.

23. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

xparaparafreakx

You could suggest to your parents that you could get one of those security cables for the desktop. Then you might convince them of the tandem setup. However, if they are paying for it then "don't look a gift horse in the mouth".