Decisions, decisions....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ipoddin, Aug 30, 2006.

1. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Originally, I wanted a mac pro as it has everything I want - but then reality stopped in and I realized it was just too pricey for my needs.

Then I looked at the mini, tho underpowered and for a little more, I could get a Macbook. I do some home video dv editing and alot of photo work with RAW files and photoshop (I'll make a lot of use of iphoto, imovie, maybe final cut express, and idvd as well). The 2ghz MB looked like a good solution but the video ram isn't good for gaming and it has a small internal drive - so I thought I'd just keep my existing PC as a gaming rig. I also like the idea of the portabliity factor.

Then I looked at the 20" iMac again. I initially passed b/c I already have a 20" widescreen LCD. Then I learned I could hook it up to the iMac and extend my desktop. Plus have a dedicated 256mb video card and bigger internal hard drive (I have a 500gb drive I'll use as external). This piqued my interest - do I really need dual monitors? Do I really want the portabliity of the MB in exchange for some of the downgrades? How good is this imac for gaming on windows? I'd prefer to ditch the PC and just dual boot.

I'm going to wait and see if a couple of announcements come out over the next couple of weeks - that may make the decision easier. Ugh.

2. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

I don't blame you for waiting - frankly, Apple should have Conroe in at least one set up by Christmas (whether it's an iMac, a Mac Pro, or some other new computer altogether, who knows???)

It sounds like the iMac is a great option, though. I have a dual monitor setup (15" Macbook Pro + 20.1" ViewSonic) and love it, although I do sometimes use the MBP in clamshell mode for when I don't need the extra room.

Gaming on the iMac has had great reviews on this site, whether you use Mac OS X or Windows. The video card, although not top-of-the-line, is definitely a decent card.

Apple typically upgrades the graphics cards, hard drives, and other minor specs when it upgrades the processor - good luck :)!