Declining Production?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by mj_1903, Feb 22, 2004.

1. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Do my eyes deceive me or is Team Macrumors in a rather heavy decline?

Does anyone know why we are dropping so massively right now?

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I am checking some members now and then that I will be passing on the list. A lot of them fold for more then one team, others have stopped folding since the active processors in one week are standing on zero. So we have a lot of folders that are helping around if we really need them!

3. jbeetz macrumors member

I think we may be having a tinker storm. My PCs have received nothing but tinkers since the 10th, I haven't checked the G5 but suspect the same has happened there as well. If you look at everyone's production, it seems to have suddenly leveled out.

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah I'm kinda worrying...
    SAGoons are now outproducing us...

And today we fell out of orange (less then 20k in 24 hours)...

Ech, come on guys...
    Other teams have a slight loss of power... like a slow decline... but out loss rate is much higher...

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My G4 is trying its best MrMacman. What is a Tinker Storm. We just need to have more G5's.

6. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Its because of the tinker storm, macs take a bigger hit on tinkers than PCs do, so thats why its effecting ALL of the mac teams. If you look around at folding-community.org you will see, they just added some new -advmethods gromacs units, so anyone using mc68k's scripts should hopefully get some new gromacs.

7. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I noticed a decline over the weekend too. Maybe next week we'll get a boost.

I've been crunching the same WU since Thursday and its only 26% done. :( Must be a tinker.

8. jbeetz macrumors member

Ah, more G5's would be vunderbar. I made up "tinker storm". I meant that there were a lot, a whole lot, of tinkers falling from the sky all at once. Meteor, tinker, whatever.

Oh, a "tinker" is a type of work unit that is, well, slow to process. Many don't like them because they are low points-wise if you were to do a points-per-clock cycle calculation. Not as bad as a genome, but they do take a while. 40 hours on a 2GHz G5. Causes your "production" to fall rather steeply, but if everyone is getting them, the playing field is still level.

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Tinker and Gromacsare 2 types of units your computer gets.

Tinkers are for macs slower then gromacs.

For PC they are more balanced.

The 'tinker storm' seems to be a lot of tinker work units being given out.

10. Mustang Mac macrumors regular

You guys have noticed it too. The playing field definitely is not level! We at Team MacOS X are getting hammered hard as well. I'm talking our daily production was cut in half in a matter of four days! Check these stats from EOC. It is pretty U-G-L-Y! I fold with both Macs and PCs and have posted some unit disparity over at our forums. I'd like to have Vijay explain it to us.

02/21/04 _13,509.43 _370
    02/20/04 _15,889.23 _489
    02/19/04 _16,940.71 _660
    02/18/04 _19,574.33 _739
    02/17/04 _20,331.37 _735

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i had to take my g5 off as my computer was severely screwed up, and it seemed to happen around the time i installed folding

i could put it back on, but not until after i'm done some important stuff that i've got going on right now... maybe in a few weeks

that's 1200 or so points a week, nothing huge, but just starting a head count of who has dropped out recently

12. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Aww too bad man.

We haven't heard of any horror storys with folding at all, I doubt that was the problem.

1200 is no small sum, its very nice.

When your machine gets back on its feet please reinstall! :)

Folding members like 'Zeke' have been doing well until recently...

Ah damnit.

--MrMacMan

13. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

not so single out anyone, but Khaldei lost some good power. that exaplins the slight decline....

but the recent large-scale decline is clearly on stanford's end

servers being screwed up is usually reflected as everyone having lower output, which doesnt seem to be the case. so maybe the tinker hypothesis is a good one...or a decline in active members (new blood)

14. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yep the tinkers are hurting bad...

But look at the SaGoons...how have they not only countered that affect, but aren't even slowing down... geez... they only recruited like 1000 people in the past week... holy hell.

And some new blood would be nice :D

Khaldei has lost some steam, but he is still coming after you! :eek:

15. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

new blood that actively stays after a few weeks is ideal, others are welcome too

16. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i've stopped folding for the time being. my fan sounds like it wants to die. she can't handle the heat.

17. aus_dave macrumors regular

I was plodding away nicely but put things on hold with the recent hot weather we had here (45C, that's hot :D).

I'm back into it now though but I'm only a minor player with a dual G5.

18. jbeetz macrumors member

I can't explain our production struggle for sure, but logs like this put a dent in my contribution!

[16:03:40] + Processing work unit
    [16:03:40] Core required: FahCore_65.exe
    [16:03:40] Core found.
    [16:03:40] Working on Unit 07 [February 19 16:03:40]
    [16:03:40] + Working ...
    [16:03:46] Folding@Home Client Core Version 2.47 (June 14, 2002)

and so on and so on until...

[07:50:15] Finished a frame (400)
    [07:50:15] TINKER is Exiting following Normal Termination
    [07:50:15]
    [07:50:15] Finished Work Unit:

it got done on the 24th.

Interesting though, now I'm back on gromacs again. Maybe it was a server issue at Stanford.

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Even getting the short timers back for one or two work units would be great. :)

20. shemp9999 macrumors regular

shemp9999

i am nice and flu-like right now, so i had a chance to do some remote maintenance on my machines. i had to (at least temporarily) disable 4 nighttime linux procs, but did fix a screwed up crontab on a 2x2GHz G5 (stupid typo) and a cleaned up 4 errant nighttime linux xeons (i'll have to keep an eye on them).

i also realized i am folding on a few macs i can't remember the hostnames of. they are probably doing ok. the macs do real well overall. hmm.

anyway, i might see a little more performance now.

21. twiztidn8v macrumors member

sorry to hear about your flu shemp, but at least something good is coming from it eh?

Get well soon...

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I also hope that you will be feeling better soon shemp9999. Just be sure to get plenty of rest and fluids. Tylenol if you have a fever. We need you strong.

Try to be patient MrMacman. The Rev. will be out soon, then there will be more G5's added.

MrMacman I was checking the Optimizing thread, your thoughts on Journaling? Or if I have UPS Backups Pro to shutdown my Mac if there is a power outage good enough? Along with my OWC Mercury Elite.

23. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

haha thanks wdlove.

I haven't heard of Journaling increasing speed any...

Don't waste your UPS on your mac for long really, if you have a poweroutage, save all of your documents and stuff you have opened and shut the machine down -- you might need that power.

I don't know what OWC Mercury Elite is...

Power supply?

Get well shemp! Hope its not too bad!

aus_dave -- No G5 is a minor player, I'm a minor player with 1 processor at 800... haha.

--MrMacMan

24. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Re: Declining Production?

i checked statsman.info, which paints a much better picture

maybe the trendline is misleading?

25. FritzTheWonderM macrumors member

Ahh, back from a boonedogle to our Las Vegas lab, (I get paid to go there... :D ) I have found a little extra horsepower. I added 15 CPUs to the fray, which should be reporting in the next day or so, (blast those Tinkers!).

Hey Shemp9999, I can still see you from here...