Decoding multipart newsgroup files on a mac

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by DannyZR2, Dec 12, 2002.

1. macrumors 6502

I have been trying to join multipart segmented files from newsgroups.. If anyone has done this successfully, I could use some help.

There are some videos and other files that I have donwloaded all of the segments of. The posts make reference to YEnc and MacBin, so I used the program Rosetta to join the files (which handles YEnc[odoed] files and I get a .dmg file that does not mount.

The thing is... I have done this on several multipart files and had the same outcome... something is wrong on my end I am sure... if anyone knows how to do this or where to go for help, please email me or post a reply... thank you much...

2. macrumors 6502

hey,

geez, i'd like to learn more about this too...i've been trying out several newsreaders, some that auto joins files and some that are manual...my biggest problem is i never find a complete multi-part post of anything. i mean not a single one! it's bizarre...i doesn't seem right, i mean, do you have to scour a newsgroup for days/weeks to find even one legitimate binary?

i used hogwasher a long while ago and it always downloaded multipart mp3's pretty good...but all other programs show everything to be incomplete...

sorry i'm no help, just curious too...

katchow

3. macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I don't know any way to easily join files after they've already been manually downloaded, but for decoding as they're being downloaded, Thoth and MT-NewsWatcher work for me. (Thoth works better but it's shareware)

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

I've tried THOTH as well, and still, perhaps I don't know exactly what steps to do with it, but when I donwloaded a test set of files, all i get are those files, still separated.. how do I join them and install them?

5. Moderator emeritus

I've always used Mozilla or Netscape for this and they work fine. On Mac OS 9.x, you can also use MS Outlook Express.

6. macrumors 68020

alex_ant

With Thoth, you highlight all the message parts inside the newsgroup window you want to download, then you ctrl-click and select "Extract Binaries". Then Thoth downloads them all and pieces them together for you.

7. macrumors 65816

Nipsy

You are prolly looking for UnrarX (versiontracker.com)