Decreased Performance with PB in Clamshell Mode?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Steven1621, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

Lately, I have been running my PB in Clamshell Mode (with an external display and keboard/mouse, obviously). I have noticed that my computer isn't running quite as fast. It seems to get held up and generally won't perform as well. Has anyone else notice this problem?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are you running it on a nice flat surface, something that makes it easy for the PowerBook to keep well ventilated? :)

3. Steven1621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

I've been wondering about that...I am at school at the present moment and I very creatively put my PB in the drawer where a keyboard is supposed to go. It is plenty of open space and room for ventilation, but as usual, the PB is running very hot. As PB's normal run very hot, I'm not sure if this is something to be concerned about.

4. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I use my 15" PB in the clam shell mode with a 23" ACD. The PB is on the iCurve and I have a small clip-on fan on the desk to give extra air flow near the PB (I think that is a over kill; but, I don't want to take any chance with the possible over heating). So far, I have not noticed any slow down in performance with my PB simply because I am using it in the clam shell mode.

5. Steven1621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

so the real reason why my PB was slowing down: the hard drive was failing. not cool, but luckily i am a compulsive backuper. i order a 100GB Seagate to replace the old HD. should be very fun trying to install that.