Dedicated 'Classic' Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stoid, Apr 10, 2005.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I have an older scanner that works perfectly but does not function under Classic and my PowerBook won't boot into OS 9. There is no plans for an OS X driver from UMAX. I have an old G3 iMac. I would like to be able to remotely control the iMac to handle the scanner so that I scan from my PowerBook via a remote window (VNC?) and then pull the files to my HD as well. Can it be done?

Thanks!

stoid

2. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    You can probably use an old version of Timbuktu or Apple Remote Desktop. I don't think there is any VNC Server for OS 9.

3. cubist macrumors 68020

I wonder if the Applescript Remote Events stuff would work. If not, you could probably write an applescript that would run the scanner when it saw a file appear in a directory, etc.

Applescript is very powerful, and it works very well in Mac OS 9. Get a copy of "Applescript for Dummies" and automate your world!

4. RacerX macrumors 65832

Well, I have an old SCSI scanner connected to my 8100 (my dedicated Classic system) and I just walk over to it and fire up either Photoshop or Acrobat to scan. When done I go back to my PowerBook and grab the images via the network.

Trying to automate the task seems like a little bit of over kill, it really doesn't take that much work to be at the system for scanning.

5. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Not sure how VNC is going to place your material on the scanner for you? :p

I will second the VueScan option. It solved my problem with my 6400.

Aside, UMAX has lost my business because of their lack of OS X drivers and support.

7. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

VueScan only supports the SCSI version of my scanner (Astra 2200) and not the USB connection.

I found SilverFast that works with OS X, but the demo puts nasty watermarks on the scanned image and it's $120 to purchase it, and for that price I might as well just buy a new scanner.

The problem is that I don't have room on my desk for the iMac, just the scanner, so the iMac has to go around the corner in another room. I can run a USB cable from scanner to iMac though so that the scanner is still in-front of me.