Dedicated user home?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shoe11, Aug 15, 2006.

1. shoe11 macrumors member

Mar 3, 2005
    My mac pro should arrive shortly and I'd like to change my hard drive setup to the following if possible:

(2) Raptors in RAID 1 for OS X

The 250gb hard drive as provided in the Mac Pro as a dedicated drive for my user home

I understand that the RAID 1 configuration can be handled within Disk Utility, but what about the dedicated home idea for the 250gb? I've installed OS x on several other Macs over the past few years, but each of those has been a single disk install not like the one I'm considering. Also are there any opinions on whether this is even a good idea or not. In theory I'd like to run this setup so that if I ever decide to reinstall the OS, I could simply wipe the Raptors, reinstall and then redirect the OS to the 250gb drive housing my user home and data.

Thanks in advance.

2. portent macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2004
    As far as moving your home folder...

As for your RAID config...I don't know, that sounds kind of backward to me. Why put the OS (which you already have a backup of on DVD) on the mirrored disks, and put your files (which are presumably important and unique) on the single disk?
    I still don't get it...Your choice I guess.

Some people get nervous about booting from software RAIDs. Something about the software that creates the RAID volume actually being on the RAID volume messes with their heads. I wouldn't worry overmuch about it.
  3. projectle macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2005
    It is all the bad experiences under PCs with onboard raid controlled by the BIOS, where one power surge, dead battery or funky windows update or kernel modification could kill it.

That is where it all comes from.

Truth is that Software Raid has come a long way since 1999, however it still has a very negative conotation with anyone who had lost absolutely everything a few months down the road after implementing it believing "I am safe, I have RAID."

Either way, the Mac implementation where all that information is stored in NVRAM makes Software Raid a non-issue.
  4. shoe11 thread starter macrumors member

Mar 3, 2005
    After re-reading my original post in the cold light of morning I see I made a critical error in my initial post. I should have said RAID 0 and not RAID 1. Plan is to stripe the Raptors and keep my data on the stock 250gb drive. The data will be backed up through a combo of DVD burns and flash drives.

The link for the home folder issue is what I needed.

Thanks all!