Deep Fritz Chess Final is tommorrow

Discussion in 'Community' started by peter2002, Oct 18, 2002.

1. peter2002 macrumors 6502

Aug 1, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Man and computer in chess cliff-hanger

The man-versus-machine chess duel is set for a dramatic finish on Saturday with world champion Vladimir Kramnik of Russia and the computer Deep Fritz tied 3.5-3.5 after seven games.

Kramnik, 27, offered a draw after his 28th move on Thursday at the tournament at Manama in the Gulf state of Bahrain.

Deep Fritz, a German-developed computer, can evaluate 3.5 million moves per second. But Kramnik was allowed to practise against it for two weeks before the contest.

The match is a sequel to the 1997 contest in which Deep Blue, an IBM computer, defeated then world champion Gary Kasparov.

If he wins Saturday's decider, Kramnik will get $1m, while a draw will earn him $700,000 and a defeat $500,000.
  2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Re: Deep Fritz Chess Final is tommorrow

So I imagine he didn't really have much of a decision to make on whether he was going to play or not, eh?

Any one know if Kramnik is a moody as Kasparov?
  3. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit

500K for losing...

Hell, I never knew chess players had such rich lifestyles...

Guess that caviar does not come cheap.. ;) :D
  4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Anyone here ever see the Luzin Defense? Very cool movie, very sad, but an interesting look into the world of competition chess.
  5. diorio macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2002
    Wow. What's up with all the news/current events thread Peter? works fine on my computer. There also is a thread called current events. Just wondering, because it seems like community discussion is littered with news articles.
  6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The Deep Fritz vs. Vladimir Kramnik match is over. Result: a 4-4 draw.

Game 1: draw
    Game 2: Kramnik
    Game 3: Kramnik
    Game 4: draw
    Game 5: Fritz
    Game 6: Fritz
    Game 7: draw
    Game 8: draw