Deer vs SUV (lots of gore)

Discussion in 'Community' started by jadam, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Good lord, the deer isn't THAT big!!! :eek: Did he hit 2 or 3 deer? And how fast do you have to go to make a deer splatter like that? :rolleyes:

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Man you weren't joking! :eek: ewwww, that is so horrifying my mouth just dropped. Can a deer (or two, three?) cause that much damage and gore? :eek: < That smilie is exactly how I am right now, not jk. How the HECK did the "parts" get in the back of the car?!

3. Spizzo macrumors 6502

WOW!!! Never seen a deer do that before. And I've seen deer get hit by much bigger vehicles than that.

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

That is just so weird. I too have seen deer hit by much larger vehicles, and never saw such carnage! I have to agree, just how fast was the SUV going?

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Call me skeptical... but do we really know for sure that this is for real?

Looks to me like if you add up all of the body parts, blood, and guts you would have enough for a herd of deer.

Can't imagine why anyone would stage such a thing (and doesn't lend itself to Photoshop), but really, that's just too bizarre.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

6. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Airbag

Strange that the airbag didn't explode?

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

In looking at the first photo, the bumper was not truly affected. And that is where AFAIK the airbag sensors are located.

It is looking like the SUV caught the deer in mid-flight, with the A pillar (I think that is what it is called) doing the "carving". It seems to support a very high rate of speed.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I wondered about that too, and went back and looked at the bumper as Chip did. Seems to be plausible for the air bag.

But what about the driver? That can't be him in the first pic, he has no blood on him. So what happened to the driver. Judging by the devastation in the driver's seat, what kind of damage was done to him?

Woof, Woof - Dawg

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I am assuming that the driver is pretty bad off. Though thoughts and prayers are with them and their family.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Someone posted "did anyone eat the deer?"

I thought, yeah, the driver had about 5 pounds of venison launched down his throat on impact.

11. Mantat macrumors 6502a

First of all, I think we can all agree that the driver was driving probably over the limit.

But the thing that I find very strange is why the air bag never went on. Let me explain and anyone with any deer related experience will agree with me. The fact that the bumber isnt damaged can only be explained by, as stated before, he hurt the deer while it was hoping in the air. The thing is that this thing happened obviously at night and when a deer see a car at night it doesnt try to dodge it, its stares at the cars light and stop moving. This is why the first thing to do when you see a deer on the road is to slow down, turn off lights and blow the horn.

So, for the deer to be hurt like that, it means that the driver caught him by surprise, either there is a big curve ahead or he was driving too fast. Either way, he is partialy responsible for this accident: in deer infested area, you are supposed to drive slowly and safely, two things he totaly forgot. Or it was a very unlucky deer who hoped on the road right before the SUV passed.

Still, I hope he is well, even tho I doupt it... :-(

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Try doing this on I-81 in Virginia. Next to impossible to try and drive according to the "rules" and live to tell about it. Either the truckers will get you, or the other car drivers will.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I guess that just because the pics were taken at night doesn't mean that the accident was at night. Maybe it was still daylight, but by the time everyone got to the scene and pics were taken, it was dark.

For whatever reason, the deer was most likely airborn on impact.
    Clearly the driver was moving fast to make the deer explode

Still, it doesn't all add up to me :rolleyes:
    Snopes.com has another deer through the windshield that they have evaluated as true, but doesn't look anything like this one.

Dunno, I guess I'm still skeptical.
    I'd like more details.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

14. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

bizzare... obviously driving too fast...

but i agree with what chipnovamac said earlier...

15. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

That was my first thought as well. It doesn't add up, or seem possible, unless he hit one deer and two were already in his back seat and exploded...but why would someone stage that???

:confused:

16. mkubal macrumors 6502a

A few things.

How could the inside of the car be such a bloody mess and at the same time the deer be not missing much of its body and be fairly clean looking?

How could the deer have crushed the hood so severely and still have enough force to fly through the entire car?

And as someone posted on the site: How did blood get on the back of the seats? I suppose it would be possible with a decent ricochet.

The only way I could see this happening would be with multiple deer, which probably is likely. That or the mythbusters were doing a variation on the chicken cannon test.

17. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

This was on page 2 of that thread:

18. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

HOLY!!!!! That makes the Pulp Fiction car PALE in comparison...

Attached Files:

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well judging by the location of the hole in the windshield, the driver would have been dead simply due to impact with deer guts and blood. The only way the driver wouldn't have gotten hurt is if he leaned far towards the passenger seat to dodge the stuff.

:confused:

Abstract = skeptical of guts in the back seat as well. :eek:

20. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

A relitive of mine just yesterday totalled her Maxima by hitting a deer on the way home from work.

21. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

If you keep reading the comments you would find out that a minivan in front of the SUV hit the dear and "flung" it into the air hitting the SUV. That should explain most of peoples questions about this.

22. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

That is from the comments.

23. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

That makes it that much more bizarre!

Would the driver have been going fast enough for this destruction and be right behind a minivan?? How fast was the minivan going then, and why didn't the deer explode there?

That's just a LOT of blood and guts. A LOT.
    We're talking the back seat, and the cargo hold.

I've hit deer before, and seen many, many others where I live.
    I've never seen one explode, ever.
    Not saying it couldn't happen.

I didn't read the posts from the other forum.
    Does it say anything about the herd of deer feeding on a broken case of dynamite on the side of the road before they were hit??

Woof, Woof - Dawg

24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully she is OK.