Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Apple should reconsider their idea of putting the default browser setting in the browser itself for two reasons.

1. It doesn't make logical sense to do this. For example, if you set the default to Safari in Safari, then set the default to Firefox in Firefox, it might not be clear in your mind exactly what the default browser is now.
2. None of the other browser makers has followed Apple's example. This is a clear sign that the other browser makers like this idea as little as I do.

Does anyone else agree with my reasoning?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Yup, the option should not be in Safari, it should be held in System Prefs somewhere. The fact that you have to go in to Safari's prefs to change this smells a bit Microsoft.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Spot on! That makes perfect sense, as opposed to the process we've got now. As much as I hate saying this, Windows does the 'default app' thing better. OSX needs a place where you can go to change all the defaults - and an option to change them all back to system defaults too.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
edesignuk said:
Yup, the option should not be in Safari, it should be held in System Prefs somewhere. The fact that you have to go in to Safari's prefs to change this smells a bit Microsoft.

I thought precisely the same thing when I saw it. On one hand, I despise when Apple resorts to MS-like business practices... On the other hand, how is the underdog ever supposed to compete when the bigger guy is using sneaky practices?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
wrldwzrd89 said:
Apple should reconsider their idea of putting the default browser setting in the browser itself for two reasons.

1. It doesn't make logical sense to do this. For example, if you set the default to Safari in Safari, then set the default to Firefox in Firefox, it might not be clear in your mind exactly what the default browser is now.
2. None of the other browser makers has followed Apple's example. This is a clear sign that the other browser makers like this idea as little as I do.

Does anyone else agree with my reasoning?
I totally agree that Apple has placed access to the "default browser" preference totally the wrong place. It's not very reassuring that I have to start Apple's own browser to start using the browser I really want. (And when thei moved it from the Internet prefpane into Safari I had a hard time finding it.)

But as a Friefox user, I'm a bit puzzled as to how you can set default browser from within Firefox, I cannot find any such function... :confused:

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Chaszmyr said:
I thought precisely the same thing when I saw it. On one hand, I despise when Apple resorts to MS-like business practices... On the other hand, how is the underdog ever supposed to compete when the bigger guy is using sneaky practices?
Nothing "MS-like" about it. This is the new Apple paradigm. Other MacOS X browsers allow the user to change the default browser within the browser, itself. Firefox doesn't allow you to do this because Firefox is not so much a Mac application as it is a generic port from elsewhere. There is, however, nothing to prevent any MacOS X Internet application developer from including this functionality within its applications if they so choose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.