Default Browser

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Whotheheck, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Whotheheck macrumors member

Mar 31, 2004
    How do I change the default browser from Safari to Firefox? I can't seem to find the option anywhere and it's bugging the hell out of me!!!! :(
  2. HexMonkey Administrator

Staff Member

Feb 5, 2004
    New Zealand
    In Panther, you can change the default browser from the General pane of Safari's preferences. IIRC this setting was in System Preferences in Jaguar, but moved in Panther.
  3. Whotheheck thread starter macrumors member

Mar 31, 2004
    Thanks so much!!!!! I dunno but to me, it doesn't make much sense to put it there. So if I want to go from friefox to IE I have to open up safari to do it??? :confused: weird.
  4. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2002
    at the edge
    Yep. Very weird. Totally bass-ackwards and unlike Apple. The only logical defense of the move I've heard is that any browser can add a default browser switch to its preferences, they just haven't done so, leaving Safari as the only way to change it. But I don't know if that's true or not.
  5. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    well, it is an apple app and installs with panther so its not like you have to add anything to do it. is a bit odd though yes.