Default clothing

Discussion in 'Community' started by mac15, Jul 15, 2003.

1. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I was stumped on what doing after I left school. I'd wanted to do something to do with BMX/Skating so at first I thought either frame/parts maker or skatepark owner.

Both of them appealed to me largely. Specialling owning my own skatepark. but after doing some research, I realised for now both were way out of my budget of 'nothing' to start with :) skateparks cost upwards of $10000 to get going. Plus say $1000 a month regular upkeep. And building bikes cost somewhere near $40000-50000 plus alot more know how.

So I though well I still want to stay in the BMX/Skate game but what to do. Then I though why not bring out my own apparel and sponser people as things get better further down the line. Its a great idea

After some research , I found you need nothing but a computer and some design skills. Great I got both. And bam 'default clothing' was born. Why the name default came up I don't know, at first I'd opted for either PurpleHazeApparel or Amplify Apparel. But default seemed better to me.

So here we have me , seting up tyhe process of starting my own company and at the tender age of 16. Life is great huh :)

I've started with some basic PS designs to get this rolling. I haven't got anything I want to show people yet. I'd rather keep things under raps for now.

This is just a silly post letting people know about default clothing and my adventures from now on

Cheers
    Chris

2. iGav macrumors G3

3. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

I just watch DVDs, or read RideBMX. Best mag ever :)

I got a bookmark folder dedicated to BMX :) I live and breathe it

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Wow

Wow! Nice going. Let us know when you actually have some product and we can put some business your way...

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

6. iGav macrumors G3

is RideBMX the same mag as Ride here??

http://www.ridebmxmag.co.uk/

I quite like the name Default Clothing... makesure you get all the legalities of ownership etc sorted, because the last thing you want is to set everything up, get customers and then someone steals your name!! that'd suck BIG TIME!!

I wanted to be a Mountain Bike designer in my teens... but figured that people like Tomac could do it better!! :(

Tomac bikes rule!! :D

7. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I'm not into that scene, but the name sounds good and fits the scene well.
    Best of luck.

8. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

yeah its the same mag. Its the US version. Take a look at BMXonline.com . I just got a brand new Mosh Brass 3 star today, its a sweet ride. its got the most perfect manual sweet spot. I almost creamed when riding it home :)

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Default clothing

I'm curious to see what u have thus far. If u need any advice & whatnot, u can always hit me up ;)

congrats... :D

10. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Good luck

Well, hope it works out for you. As I understand it, starting your own business is super tough. But if it works out for you more power to you.

P-Worm

11. iGav macrumors G3

Sweet... ;)

I've got a crappy red Felt piece of sh*t, that weighs a ton and is twitchier than a seizure! :eek: :eek: :p

Last time I had a BMX the Burner was the bike to have and Andy Ruffel was the man!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

12. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Hey well if you ever get it up and running, make a dark blue shirt t-shirt with a simple design on the front and whatever on the back you have a guaranteed sale from me ;)

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The name "Default" is okay, but I'll buy a dark blue t-shirt from you as well if it's cool. ^^^ ;)

14. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

hehe great minds think alike, right Abstract? :) ;)

15. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

best of luck, hope this pans out for you, it would be good to retire at 25 :D

16. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

are you thinking of making the shirts yourself?

this is very feasible...

key is:

1. finding a place to buy t shirts from in bulk... can be done for like $2/shirt... of course, if you get non-sweatshop shirts it's a bit more..

2. learn some stuff about silk screening.. that's probably the best bet as far as which method to use for a personal type set up

my bros and i have been silk screening shirts for years... with a bit of practice and a relatively cheap set up (ie, under 100 bucks to start with), you can easily be doing some pretty cool shirts in no time... can also apply to other articles of clothing, but t shirts are the most common and probably the easiest.

couple things to keep in mind... limit the number of colors of the design (anything over 1 is exponentially harder)...

and of course work out which color inks go with which color shirts best.

i've always been a sucker for light colors (white mainly) on dark shirts.

like i have on now. ;)

17. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i agree. dark blue with white lettering. very cool. like default in white letters across the chest area of a dark blue tshirt.

18. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Its a cool name and all, but I think it may be a little too computery. I mean, its just weird, having the word "Default" on your chest. Reminds me of like robots.

Anyways, about BMX. I used to be into it, and I went to Sheep Hills (ever heard of it)? Its extremely hard to find, and you will never find it unless you are on a bike.

If you ever want any suggestions, im open. I think i might be in the age group you are looking at.

19. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

I was thinking white, bllack and blue as they seem very poular and maybe a grey if I can.

I got 1 design down pat, nothing more I wanna do to it and I'm working on another as I'm typing now

20. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

[​IMG]

This is my favorite shirt, it then has a deisgn on the back.

but yeah if u make a shirt kinda like the above in dark blue i will take it :)

21. iGav macrumors G3

I'd go for earthy shades as well as the de-facto navy.

Brown, olive green, battleship grey etc... even red... ;)

White looks cool on all of the above, although obviously you could end up with a range that is distinctly similar, maybe check out other combo's, very dark grey ink, on a battleship grey is a good one, much more subdued... understated!

Anyway below are my last 2 Tee buys...

DH Specials!! got my eye on a couple of naughy Little Devil's too! :D

However, if you want trick Tee's, there's only one place to go!!

www.threadless.com

Ongoing T-shirt comp!! kewl! :D

22. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Cool, if you open up a store, I'll go there next time I'm up at Sydney.

Clothing came to mind every now and again mainly everytime a pass a big label company, Paul Frank I can remember started off as a flash animation site and then grew and grew and grew until it is where it is now.

I thought of a Wardofsky Jester clothing brand, with the face from my avatar :D

Make sure you go into snowboarding :D

23. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

Good luck mac15, I started up a small clothing company for paintball about a month ago. Got a few designs done and should have the tees back relatively soon. I can't stress it enough, but do your research. I took a couple months to get all my research and I was able to find the right places that I can get great quality tees and screenprinting done for a low price. I was also able to talk to a few local clothing stores that have agreed to carry some of the tees as well.

Here are a couple designs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i'll buy a default tee, and one of them redstar ones too.....

i just found a place that sells clothing with my company name!!! haha

my own clothing company, kind of

25. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Too bad u aren't in the south or near New Orleans...I have a t-shirt maker connection. ;)

as for t-shirts...I'd buy one...just make sure u offer small sizes... :D