"Default Desktop" HELP!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by huatucool, Oct 12, 2005.

1. huatucool macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2005
    Hi everyone, I am in deep troubles now!!!

I renamed my home directory without entering my password (authentication) (The orignal account name is "raymond huang" and "RLH" as the short name. I changed it to "..." and "RLH" is still the same b/c i can't change it.)

Then I restarted my computer, and my home directory contents and preferences appear to be lost! And my home directory subfolders (Documents, Pictures, and so forth) are empty!

I tried to follow the apple/support online but didn't find it is helpful to me.
    APPLE/SUPPORT: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107854

On the apple/support, it says to check if the missing home directory is present or not. But how do i know WHAT home directory looks like and if it is present or not?

Also, I don't see "new home directory" in the "Users" folder as described in step 2.
    All i see is 13 folders, 12 folders are RLH, RLH 1, RLH2, RLH 3,.....RLH11 (b/c I restarted and loged out for 12 times), Folder "RLH11" is the icon of a House. The last folder is "Shared", which has a subfolder "GarageBand Demo Songs".

all my files are on the HD but i can't access!

Please help me out!
    I have projects saved and they are due on Friday!!!

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!
  2. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    It asking you to find your home directory, you know, the name you gave your home directory when you changed it. It doesn't say "new home directory", its what you user name is. Did you read the rest of the sentence, "which bears the users' short name". Your files should be under the name you changed it too, which I'm guessing is RLH, or if you did '...' then its a hidden folder now probably, get your terminal skills ready. The reason the one is a house is most likely due to you are logged into the user at the moment. 1) Tell us the name you gave your home directory clearly because I can't tell what you are saying, ... or RHL is the home directory name now? 2) Change which every you named it too, back to what it was and restart.