Default Dock Settings

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jake.biesinger, Oct 20, 2006.

1. jake.biesinger macrumors newbie

G'day all-
    Just reorganized my Applications folder. I moved the applications into folders that seemed more logical to me (i.e., Safari, Firefox, iChat, etc into /Applications/Web iMovie, iPhoto, GarageBand, etc into /Applications/Media Production, etc) Everything was happy for my account. Dock changed my shortcuts to reflect the different locations. But when I create a new user account, the old paths are used and I get a bunch of ?'s. Is there any way to change the default dock paths so new users dont flip out?

I just switched from Windows, trying to show my family how cool the Mac is and this isn't helping :) Thanks for your help in advance!

2. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Drag all the icons off the dock and then drag them back on.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Be careful moving apps around. Many apps are fine and will work properly from wherever you put them but some software updating apps (like Apple's own Software Updater) require apps to be in a certain location. Subfolders within the Applications folder should be fine, but I just thought I'd tell you. If you're finding some apps don't seem to be behaving normally or aren't being updated, then move them back to where they were installed. This isn't a widespread problem, but I just thought I'd tell you since you're new to OSX. :)

4. jake.biesinger thread starter macrumors newbie

ahah! A bunch of my Apps keep telling me that there are updates available, but when the software updater runs, it kindly informs me that there really aren't... Okay, so if there's not a way to change the reference to these apps, perhaps the alternative is to make a sub-folder directory with links to the apps, rather than moving them around...

On the same note as the default user settings, is there a way to set preferences for each new user (i.e., change the mouse behavior for each new account)?

An interesting side note is that iTunes is the only link from the dock that reflected the directory chane accurately. What does iTunes have that the others don't?

No way! What part? I just got back from a two-year mission for the LDS Church in Melbourne! I loved Australia!

5. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Would you ever "move" apps in Windows around?

6. jake.biesinger thread starter macrumors newbie

Oy!
    I guess I should think of those apps as the system apps that are no-touchy. You can't decide where they are installed to, but Windows sys apps are the same. Fair enough!

7. Hobofuzz macrumors regular

It's easier if you just use the color labels or spotlight comments (I'm assuming you're using Tiger), then make some smart folders that display all items with that label/spotlight comment. That's what I did with my stuff, so now everything's all colorful and rainbow like >.<

Looks kinda like Fisher Price exploded in my finder.

If you don't have Tiger, it's better just to place a bunch of aliases in an Applications folder in your home directory. I put all the applications I don't want guest users to use (such as Bittorrent and P2P apps) in there. That way you can have your own organization structure without mucking with the system. Just replace the Applications shortcut in the sidebar with the Applications shortcut to your home directory Applications folder.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, strictly speaking an app is a folder that contains all the necessary information to run it. You can technically move most (not all) apps to wherever you like. However, a few problems arise, not only from Software Updater, but also from permission allocation. OSX matches up permissions for each app with what it is told in the Receipts folder (a series of packages) but in a similar fashion to Software Updater, it only does this with apps in the Applications folder (or wherever the default receipt package tells it to look, which is by default Applications). Bad permissions can lead to all sorts of quirky and undesirable behaviour.

Fortunately, Hobofuzz gives a very good workaround. In the end, I just leave all my apps in the Applications folder with links to the common apps in the Dock. It's just safer. :)

Not that I know of. However, all these customised settings are kept in the Home folder's Permissions folder. If you make a copy of each relevant PLIST file and paste it/them over the default file in the new account then you'll quickly retain your customisations. Having said that, I'm 99% sure the mouse settings are kept separately in the PRAM. :eek:

Interesting stuff. Do you mean it was the only app that updated with Software Updater, despite not being in the Applications folder?

Cool! I'm in Adelaide at the moment but spend half my time in Sydney too. What does LDS stand for? :cool:

9. jake.biesinger thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah It was fine to move around. Dashboard was as well on second glance.

LDS = Latter Day Saint. ie, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Days Saints, ie the Mormons. 2 Years down under makes even the hardest septic tanks speak a bit of Aussie...

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Interesting. Thanks for that it's always good to know. :)

Haha, the opposite is true, y'all! :D