Default Media Player?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mazmaximus, Jan 17, 2004.

1. mazmaximus macrumors newbie

I'm wondering how to change my mac's default media player from Quicktime to VLC. Can anyone explain the procedure?

Thanks.

2. mazmaximus thread starter macrumors newbie

I answered my own question...

Hey everyone, I found the answer by simply going to the VLC site. They explained that you click on the file you want to open then go into "Get Info" -> "Open With:" and you can change the default player for the selected file type.

Thanks anyway.

3. Nerple macrumors newbie

Yo bruh, you got it all wrong.

I have to do that same procedure for EVERY media file i want to open with vlc. If I have a new file it does not automatically open with vlc when i click it, and not to be an ars but wasnt this thread about making files default to vlc? Idk about choo guys but i dont like having to go control>click>other>scroll>highlight VLC>check always open with.

So again, does anybody know how to make VLC the default for media files? :confused:

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Get Info on one of the files, select Open With: VLC, then click Change All. You'll have to do this once for each different file type, not each file.

5. Nerple macrumors newbie

Thankya dude.

Within the five seconds of extra searching i just found that out. Came back to post it and ya had already replied. Scchhhwweeet. Thanks, the original useless post at the top of my browser is now useful to all thanks to us. :cool:

----------

That is all. Can we get a bam?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You mean the original 8-year-old post that you resurrected from the thread graveyard? :rolleyes:

7. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you notice the thread date?

9. Fuchal macrumors 68020

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14618/rcdefaultapp

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You certainly don't need an app for this, when it can easily be accomplished with a few simple clicks. There's more work involved to download, install and use the app than there is to do it manually.

11. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

Indeed I did. Why is it a issue with you?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not an issue, just a "heads up". Many times, people don't notice when a thread has been resurrected. If you were trying to respond to the OP, neither of the apps you mentioned existed at the time the OP was posted.