default player

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by hui__lim, May 1, 2003.

1. hui__lim macrumors regular

I've currently set my default player to vlc but now as ive discovered mplayer and find it to be more useful than vlc, how do i change it to become the default program to run .*avi files? I've tried going to the *.avi file and command + i and tried changing it to mplayer, but mplayer doesnt seem to like being default and it always hops back to vlc. Appreciated if anybody can help me solve this. Many thanks before hand....

2. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

3. vniow macrumors G4

When you hit cmd-I then go to Open with:, select your player then hit Change all...

That should do it.[​IMG]

4. hui__lim thread starter macrumors regular

thats what i did but still, the default player is vlc.

5. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

ditto - mine are assigned to QT though

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Weill, I'm not too sure of this but:

When you open a media file with "MPlayer OS X", is starts a small app (kind of a help-file?) called "mplayer". It seems to be inside the resources of "MPlayer OS X", so you can't assign that small app to it....

7. makkystyle macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure if you ctrl+click on the icon of what you want to open then ->Get Info you will see a set of expandable menus. then select the open with one and change it to the mplayer. There should also be a way (check box or something) to apply this to all files of the same type.

8. hui__lim thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that would make sense as you can't assign a help file to be a default player file. Grrr...

9. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

that would make sense - MPlayer OSX is just a GUI for mplayer. Crap, doesn't look like its doable. Might try assigning it to mplayer. oh wait, no can do; my iBook's away to have the logic board replaced, AGAIN.

10. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

If you have Mplayer OS X 2 installed then just get info on a .avi file in the finder and change open with to "Mplayer OS X 2" and click "change all" and all your AVI files should open in Mplayer.

11. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

need to download that actually, wish i could but my damn iBook is still away for repair:mad:

12. boskie macrumors regular

if vlc is no longer your default - did you use it for files other than avi's? - uninstall it and then go througth the process mentioned above.

If you do still use it, uninstall, do the above and then reinstall it.

Don't actually know if this gonna solve your problems but it's worth a try