Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
With but $1,500 worth of equipment and some ingenuity, security researcher Chris Paget can create his own cell phone tower.
Here's the catch, however: The tower itself isn't real. It's a fake recreation of a GSM base station that allows Paget to overpower the actual signals from real-life base stations. The end result? Cell phones connect to PagetNet—or whatever name he's assigned his creation—thinking that they're accessing an actual cell phone tower.
When that happens, Paget can listen in to the conversations and/or record them at his leisure. His device—an International Mobile Identity Subscriber catcher—bounces the call to an actual cell phone tower and the user is none the wiser, save for the fact that all inbound calls now go directly to said user's voicemail as the carrier considers the actual phone off-network.

Read Entire Article

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2367247,00.asp

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I love the part in the video on him saying stuff about the iPhone. Mostly bitching about how they iPhone would connect the easiest to his network and it has really been trouble for him keeping the thing off of it.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Wow.
I wonder if you could hack a 3G microcell to do this entirely in software.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Wow.
I wonder if you could hack a 3G microcell to do this entirely in software.

I don't know it could be possible. I know there are a lot more GSM fans on this message board, but that is one advantage of the CDMA network. It is much more secure when it comes to things like hacking. I do believe the newer WCDMA 3G (UMTS) is secure as well, but if you can throw in noise to bump the network back to 2G EDGE then it appears you can hack in without any issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.