Defective Xbox 360s Cropping Up!

Discussion in 'Games' started by iriejedi, Nov 23, 2005.

1. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

#1 REASON TO wait and buy one at a store where it can be returned!

:eek:

http://gamersreports.com/news/216/

Defective Xbox360 Units Cropping Up >
    2005/11/22 21:55:55: Posted by DM

Apparently a slew of defective Xbox360 units are being reported all over the web. There is no set pattern and the consoles crash during any game or sometimes at the dashboard. Our friends over at Xbox-Scene have wrapped it up for you in a nice post. It is too early to tell what the problem is, but if this is widespread it could damage the MS reputation even further.

2. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

There is a Slashdot thread on this. One of the better posts theorizes that it is heat-- an overheated graphics card. Apple people know from the G5 what kind of heat the processors can produce; we also know that graphics cards are hot (apparently this is the main reason the 'books dont have more vram). Anyway, the combination of G5 and graphics card heat may make for some real problems. I'm sure it has some noisy fans as well.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

What??? Microsoft making something defective???? I don't believe it! ;) :)

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've heard of problems too, but I suppose its to be expected. Microsoft wanted this system out ASAP. if they had more time then it there'd likely be less faults. we're apple users, we know the problems with Rev A!

5. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Mine's good so far. I was on it for a couple hours last night before I crashed fro 11 and a half hours after being up for over 30.

I knew it would happen to some, it always does (like someone else said) with Revision A models. But, mine is okay so far. So that's good for me. Hope everyone else here got a good unit!

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I read multiple reviews that more bugs than usual were to be expected because of the rushed production. I even have a friend at IMB that worked on XBox 360 layouts and she it just wasn't ready but they didn't have a choise. Just another reason to wait for PS3.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'd been having a lot of bugs on the demo units, but assumed (as any XBox fan would vigorously insist) that they were pre-release units. Guess not.

Well, thats what happens with first gen products.

8. woxel1 macrumors member

Not Nintendo's :p :D

9. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

10. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

It's sad that we accept that.

Game consoles should be simple "just-works", like NES used to be and like VCRs, TV are.

Microsoft and others are moving electronic consumer mindset toward computer user mindset of accepting constant patches, upgrades and so on.

11. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

wouldn't it be great to wait outside in the cold for hours or days, to get a defective 360. one of the reasons i will (hopefully) never do this with any system.

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Three cheers for the big N's QC. We own almost every system they've ever made, including an original NES (I think it's older than me :eek: ) and a Virtual Boy, and the only one that ever needed repair was the SNES, and the Super Scope.

13. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

At least it crashes quickly and in high definition.

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well i hope for microsoft that the still boxed up demo kiosk i saw standing in the store today won't have much bugs ;).. looks like demo units are finally delivered .. was about time

15. iriejedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Puffy Clouds

What does a High Def Blue Screen look like...they should add clouds of smoke drifty by on the blue screen - ooooh look - that one looks like an Apple:p

Bwaahahahahahahahaha

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

aye to that. my NES, GBA vintage, N64, Cube (bought on launch day too so thats Rev A), SP and DS (imported US rev A!) all without any problems.

to be fair to Microsoft they do need this christmas boost. its a good time to get in some profit but it has cost them with typical rushed hardware.

17. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

very true i have a 1st gen GBA sp and zero problems as well as a DS and GCN :) another reason to get a Rev :D

18. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

Agreed.

GBA SP is the ultimate gaming machine. Simple, addictive, excellent choice of games. Who needs XBox 360?

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I don't accept it, I just expect it. It especially seems the computer companies have more problems with it. I honestly don't know why.

Gaming-only companies never seem to have problems. Find me bugs in the GameCube, GameBoy Advance, NES, SNES, Nintendo DS, Sega Genesis, or any of the new or old systems from Nintendo or Sega. Then compare to the XBox/360 and PS2 (disk drive failures, crashes, poor quality control, power supplies that become torches, etc).

I'm not stating that gaming-only companies are inherintly superior, it just seems that they have less problems with their systems. But then, Sega got wiped out and Nintendo's market share is declining, so it looks like people don't care about hardware quality anymore.

20. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

21. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

Again, I agree completely. Maybe you and me are not accepting it but majority of people do.
    People who think that products should be simple and just work are dying breed. Companies managed to lower consumer expetations so low and make consumer actually wish to pay for the crap they release with such a bad quality. Instead of "intelligent consumer”, we are heading to the worst scenario of consumerism: "brain-washed consumer".

P.S. Just look at how Sony BMG is treating their CD customers (rootkit issue).

22. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I can name one problem with the NES. Remeber how the console after so many years would refure to play games. You would try everything: blow in the case, blow on the cartridge, clean the contacts. Thought I read the issue was from the connectors oxidizing.

23. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

I agree as well, to a degree. I realize that there MAY be faults, but none-the-less, msot of the time I expect things to just work. My Mac mini's ability to screw me on a wirless network is very tiring. The fact that my 360 would not recover my gamertag yesterday almost caused me to get extremely violent (especially since I had been awake for more than 30 hours at that point.) I have since got the issue corrected.

Things SHOULD just work. I would love it if more things did this. Unfortunately, a lot of companies, as others have said, don't think about it this way.

Other than that, my 360 is working flawlessly, the Mac mini is working, and life is good.

24. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i had one crash on me at HMV, i was playing king kong and pukversieing a dinosaur when it turned green the screen went crazy and then blank, some m$ rep came running to it.

25. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Not a gamer...

...but this really made me laugh. Not only is M$ losing money on the 360, but when it finally does hit the market, it's defective. Can't wait to see what happens with Longhorn/Vista.:D