Defense Missile for U.S. System Fails to Launch

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Dec 15, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

can we please spend this money on more immediate concerns, like protecting ports and chemical plants?

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not pissing everybody off would probably be a more efficient shield.

3. takao macrumors 68040

takao

4. Zaid macrumors 6502

Ah... but this all makes sense if you think of the true role of the US government as being to create a market for and to subsidise american arms manufacturers.

Its like Xerox really being in the toner cartridge business

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Last year, Bush asked Congress to give the Pentagon special permission to deploy this system without the usual testing. So it should come as no surprise that it doesn't work, because it didn't need to work. Bush should be wearing this expensive boondoggle like a hat. The US also abrogated the antiballistic missile treaty to deploy this thing.

6. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    well as long as no one else's missles launch in the rain i guess we're safe...

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Funny that for all the griping conservatives do about how inefficient social welfare programs are, and what a waste of taxpayer moneis they are, there is near-complete silence when it comes to a military that can't seem to find the armor to equip troops (even if, as 'Rat has suggested, the material is in theater just not where it needs to be) even with the largest military budget by far in the world, or a program like this one that has shown little success beyond the theoretical stages but is being fully funded and deployed regardless?

But just mention 'National Health Care' and watch them get all worked up about how inefficient and what a waste of taxpayer money it would be.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Stupid is as stupid does and starting a new arms race with ballistic missile's is stupid and expensive. How many Billions because of N. Korea.? wouldnt it be cheaper to make a agreement through diplomacy. Then you have a system costing billions that doesnt work against a mexican carrying a bomb across the border or a N.Korean fisherman bringing it by boat. This administration seems to suck at everything they touch and to think 51% of America voted for these bafoons who sent our troops into Iraq with no armor.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Sounds like we're going to roll out a faith-based missile shield.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Of course the system failed.

Pride goeth before the fall.

I just hope it doesn't take another attack for people to wake up, but I fear that is what's coming. It's not like it matters. Bush will still make some speech about unity, while calling all of his critics terrorists and unpatriotic. And when you ask people why they voted for him, they'll still say security and that Kerry couldn't keep us safe, but when you point out Bush didn't keep us safe, they'll say it isn't his fault. :rolleyes: And they'll go back to their lives like nothing even happened, with their little flags and banners saying never forget, while we go attack some other country for some unknown reason. While the real bad guys are still out there, garnering more support, and able to attack us at any time.

Glib, I know, but I've talked to people like this. They don't know, they don't care, they don't even want to think about it. We're doing exactly what Bin Laden said we'd do, and now he's going to do what he said he'd do.

But hey, we got Saddam. I know I feel safer. :mad:

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Launch Rocket: Click Yes or No...

Are you sure you want to launch Rocket? Click Yes or No...

The application Launch Rocket has unexpectedly quit.
    Do you want to submit a bug report?

12. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

* New updates are ready to install!

* You have unused icons on your desktop!

* Some tray icons were hidden! Click here to see them!

* New programs have been installed!

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"Your system will re-launch in - three minutes"