Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hobie

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2002
far, far away
Hi,

i was just curious after i saw the Apple UK promotion, which goes until January 6th:
www.apple.com/uk/promo/winter_promo/

PC-World also has a £250 off price for the 17" iMacs here in the UK.

So what do you think guys, after iBook and PowerBook now, new iMacs and PowerMacs at MWSF...?!?

Padrote

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2002
Glendale, CA
I-Mac? how about iBook!!

I think the award-winning iMac is due for an upgrade, but more than likely we're about to see the G4 iBook. Although Apple has recently upgraded the iBook, it may have been just a way for them to get rid of inventory. The iBook is the last CPU that Apple makes that still uses the now very old G3 Processor. I'd like to see a new design to this popular iBook. The iBook is simply a dinosaur compared to other hardware that apple makes. This is the next obvious step for Apple to make. Updating the iBook line with a new form factor and with a faster G4 processor is a long awaited process. I am c'mon you can get an eMac for less than a $1,000 and it has a G4 Processor.

Kill Bill

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
new ibook wont be out for a while. g3 will be in it for a while too. the ibook the way it is is plenty for most users who dont know much about computer. plus is they did put a g4 processor into it it would have to be an 800 mgz of faster g4. this is for marketing reasons. i think they will let the powerbook get a little bit higher in speed and then put a 700 of 800 mhz g4 with no l3 cache in it. i think that would be much better. these are all opinions though, we will just have to wait and see.

iJon

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
I just want to throw in that the current motherboard design of the iBook allows speeds up to 800 MHz which we have reached now. So, the next upgrade will feature a major redesign. And I'm sure they won't design a G3-based system from the ground up. That would be a waste.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Just remember if you've been holding off getting a new Mac because of speed or other reasons, don't hold off any longer than the new year if you have anything invested in Mac OS 9 compatible software or hardware that hasn't been upgraded to X.

The next new batch of Macs after the new year won't be able to boot into Mac OS 9. And Classic just isn't the same thing. Lots of printer and scanner drivers that works great booting into 9, won't work at all in the Classic environment.

If you get a Mac now, you'll be assured the ability to boot into Mac OS 9 as long as that machine lasts. And that machine can be under warranty for 3 years if you choose to purchase AppleCare within the first year. What's more, Apple offers 6 months same as cash at their online store, meaning no interest for the first 6 months of payments. If you pay it off in 6 months you won't have to pay interest at all. Apple offers discounts for government, military, students, and educators. For more pricing info visit:

http://www.macprices.com/

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
must move to G4?

Originally posted by pianojoe
I just want to throw in that the current motherboard design of the iBook allows speeds up to 800 MHz which we have reached now. So, the next upgrade will feature a major redesign. And I'm sure they won't design a G3-based system from the ground up. That would be a waste.

If IBM makes a faster G3 at prices lower than Moto's G4, Apple should keep it in the iBook, IMHO.

Seriously, if Apple can take advantage of the pricing of G3 processors and support chips, which are surely much lower than the G4 because of volumes involved, they should do it. The iBook is extremely popular in education and Apple could sell even more of these if the price were a couple hundred dollars lower.

If Apple can make modest upgrades to the machine, and lower the price, why not get a couple more years out of a great design?

I want to see 1GHz G3 iBooks for $800 with Apple-support external monitor driving capabilities and a dock.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I think the iMac will be updated before the iBook. They JUST released the new iBooks, they won't be releasing new ones any time soon (unless they have like a special edition, but I doubt it). I'd rather have an inexpensive 1 GHz G3 w/ a 133 MHz FSB, than an 800 MHz G4 w/ a 100 FSB. Much cooler and less of a power drain. G3's aren't that bad if you don't use a lot of apps that use Altivec (even though most Apple apps, including the OS itself, use it).

But they definitely need GHz+ across the board, with 133 FSBs.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Sounds to me...

Originally posted by solvs
I think the iMac will be updated before the iBook. They JUST released the new iBooks, they won't be releasing new ones any time soon (unless they have like a special edition, but I doubt it). I'd rather have an inexpensive 1 GHz G3 w/ a 133 MHz FSB, than an 800 MHz G4 w/ a 100 FSB. Much cooler and less of a power drain. G3's aren't that bad if you don't use a lot of apps that use Altivec (even though most Apple apps, including the OS itself, use it).

But they definitely need GHz+ across the board, with 133 FSBs.
...like you want an MPC7457 (the current G4+ is the MPC7455). It's a G4+ made on a smaller manufacturing process, with a bigger cache. It should have G3 like power usage, and fast G4+ speed.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Re: Sounds to me...

Originally posted by Catfish_Man
...like you want an MPC7457 (the current G4+ is the MPC7455). It's a G4+ made on a smaller manufacturing process, with a bigger cache. It should have G3 like power usage, and fast G4+ speed.

Forgot about that one. But you can't argue with ~7 watts and 4 stage pipeline G3s. Especially for word processing and web surfing. Maybe they should just make a PowerBook with plastic or something, and better batteries. Besides being more fragile and having not so good Airport reception sometimes (light as they may be) the Ti's can get HOT.

Least they're not as bad as Dells:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/28245.html

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Whatever happened to the 7470 g4 chip which was suppost to
got to speeds up to 1.6 GHz etc.? Was there any truth to those
rumors, or is that chip existant and functional (or affordable :rolleyes:)?

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by pianojoe

How does the motherboard design affect what speed the ibook can be? Unless there is a higher clocked G3 or G4 that cannot support the multiplier needed, this shouldn't be an issue. Of course you can throw in heat and other items that can affect what speed you run at but I don't see where the motherboard should affect the clock rate except in the situation I mentioned.

I don't have specs for any of the cpu's so maybe there isn't a higher clocked cpu with the multiplier needed...but I doubt it.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
Some rumor sites have suggested that the 7470 will be used in the iMacs of late 2003 and 2004 after the PowerMacs make the switch to the 970, though the 970 from IBM is anything but confirmed at this point.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Originally posted by rice_web
the 970 from IBM is anything but confirmed at this point.

um... it's completely confirmed. IBM have confirmed that they will make the chip. No doubts about it.

Apple have not confirmed that they will use it... but there's no question about that... They most certainly will. Unless they go to AMD, in which case, we're smokin' newayz. So it's all up from here :)

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Well I certainly hope so.
Then we only (hopefully) have to ride out 1 pathetic powermac update to
1.3 GHZ.
Then the real machines will be there :) (hopefully)

hobie

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2002
far, far away
Rather than putting a G4 in the iBook I would stick with a G3 in it. It is a very good processor, if it only where clocked a bit higher.
My iBook's fan never turned on, not even once, in a turkish bath at 80 degree celcius... I don't know, maybe it's broken... :D

As I get quickly annoyed of fan noises I'm pretty happy about that. The only thing that's left is that crappy harddrive spinning around and spoiling my nerves!

So why change that by putting a cooking plate in it which burns your balls and causes you an acute hearing loss :confused:

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
i would say at MWSF there will be a very low end model 800 mhz emac, 900 mhz emac, (possibly ghz emac...but higher end i'dd say), and imacs would be 800- possibly 1 ghz also...but u never know what'll happen...
it would be nice to see 19" imacs (if they can get it to work without breaking or anything) but they would be very expensive..

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
And here's what Steve Jobs will announce at MWSF...

... iChat supports Rendezvous! Yay!

Improved to-do list on iPod! Yay!

iPhoto 2! Yay!

XServe RAID! Yay!

And one more thing...

iApps only available to .Mac subscribers! grumble.

If you're expecting any hardware upgrades in early January (besides the XServe RAID), you're setting yourself up for a disappointment.

hobie

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2002
far, far away
Re: And here's what Steve Jobs will announce at MWSF...

Originally posted by cubist

If you're expecting any hardware upgrades in early January (besides the XServe RAID), you're setting yourself up for a disappointment.

What if, and I only mean what if MWSF gives us the 970 :eek: Will all you guys fall into coma or what? OS 9 is due to be ditched then, and a PM upgrade should also be in the pipeline... I think IBM has developed the 970 far more than we know (I mean, it is a slimmed down power4, a "celeron" if you want to call it that way...). So how long did Intel need to develop the Celeron after the Pentium III/4 :confused:

Off topic:
What about a new Pro Mouse at MWSF? Since all new systems go OS X only, which has lots of us features on the right mouse button, a new new revision would be rather necessary.
I'd like a 2/3 button model with scroll wheel and bluetooth. What about you?

locovaca

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2002
Iowa
Re: Re: And here's what Steve Jobs will announce at MWSF...

Originally posted by hobie

What if, and I only mean what if MWSF gives us the 970 :eek: Will all you guys fall into coma or what? OS 9 is due to be ditched then, and a PM upgrade should also be in the pipeline... I think IBM has developed the 970 far more than we know (I mean, it is a slimmed down power4, a "celeron" if you want to call it that way...). So how long did Intel need to develop the Celeron after the Pentium III/4 :confused:

Off topic:
What about a new Pro Mouse at MWSF? Since all new systems go OS X only, which has lots of us features on the right mouse button, a new new revision would be rather necessary.

It's not _QUITE_ that simple. All intel had to do with the Celeron line is remove some cache. IBM is partially redesigning this chip. And, if memory serves correct, for Intel it has been 6-12 months for them to release the newer version of the celeron, but I don't believe this was due to design time, but rather to get the "professional" chips a head start, clock speed wise, on the celerons.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Re: Re: And here's what Steve Jobs will announce at MWSF...

Originally posted by hobie

What if, and I only mean what if MWSF gives us the 970 :eek: Will all you guys fall into coma or what? ...

Off topic:

Argh! (flop, wheeze) :D No, if the 970's come out my credit card is ready!

Hobie's 100% right about the mouse, though. I love the look of the current mouse, but mine broke a few months after I had it, and I vastly prefer the Logitech marble mouse trackball... and I use the right-mouse function all the time. Scroll-wheels are stupid, but I suppose they're unstoppable at this point. The current keyboard is fine, but yes, a new mouse is clearly overdue.

Maybe Woz will introduce that, along with the Danger Hiptop.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
My predictions:

iMac- They are overdue, they may be introduced before MWSF. I won't be surprised if they come out at MWSF though.
Powermac- I would expect the Powermac updates to surface closer to March/April then MWSF. I hope I'm wrong though :D
iBook- 0% chance at MWSF. Come on :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.