Definition of love

Discussion in 'Community' started by sethypoo, Mar 3, 2004.

1. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    What is your definition of love?

I pose this question to mean "love" in any sense of the word. Define it for yourself, then answer.

A good rule of thumb is to define the form of love that comes to your mind first.
  2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    I don't think it's one of those things that can be clearly defined.
  3. Cervotragik macrumors newbie

Mar 3, 2004

I think Love is a comparison to hate, therefore what is the definition of hate? When you hate someone/thing is it because you feel love for it as well?

Sorry for answering with a question...But answers do not make us, questions do.
  4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    as far as i could define something like this... romantic love is when two people stimulate each other on a personal level, form an intense emotional bond, resulting in many biochemical reactions by the body... Kind of when two people become addicted to one another. Whether they share interests or not, they connect on many levels... Beyond that i think it's driven and connected by an underlying force, but i won't get spiritual here.

Love is rarely convenient. It seems to pop up regardless of social grouping, background, or any of the other things that people try and claim affect "compatability". Love has nothing to do with two people being compatable... but the latter is usually helpful in a relationship. I honestly believe that love is one of the most powerful and enduring emotions that humans can experience. One emotion has the ability to hijack a person's entire mind for as long as it wants.

Wow, that's a bad definition. This is way too hard to define, it's so broad and intangible...

5. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    Love is personal myth making. And we all love our myths don't we? They celebrate the agony and ecstasy of being human.
  6. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    When I fell in love with my wife, it started with the physical attraction. All of my waking hours she was on my mind. Whatever I was doing it was how it effected her. I don't have a real command of the language, so it is difficult to put into words. Knew that I did not want to be without her. It would be hard to see a future without her in my life.
  7. JamesDPS macrumors regular

Feb 25, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    Romantic love is a neurological (or biochemical) response to an attractive mate (attractive in many ways, of course, not just physically). And I love it! For those without love, try chocolate -- it causes the brain to release the same chemicals, and with less harsh after-effects (falling "out of love" sure sucks, even more than trips to the dentist).

Obviously the question is meant from a more spiritual point of view, though, and as many have pointed out, that's something that I think can't really be defined simply and is different for each person; not only that, but romantic love is different for the same person in love with different people -- I sure loved my ex of 2 years, but my current girlfriend (of 4 years) I love in a completely new (and better) way. There are many indicators, but I think a clear one is that I think she's the only person I've ever met that I could literally spend a lifetime with, unseparated.

I guess the more general response would maybe be "caring for someone more than yourself".

Wow. Can of worms.
  8. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    I have no idea what exactly love is. It kind of baffles me.

It is more than a really strong attraction. I am sure of that.

But how much more? What more? What do people in love have that people who are strongly attracted to each other don't?

Basically, love just really confuses me. I wish I knew how to handle my attractions better. I'm afraid that sometimes my teenage hormones make me think there is more than a mutual attraction between me and someone when there really isn't anything more.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Love = Sethypoo :D

Love is the absence of hate and the willingness to die for another person or people, but also to look silly in front of people whose respect you want.
  10. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

Nov 3, 2003
    Milky Way
    True Love Waits - radiohead

Love is putting aside the desires of the self in order to meet the needs of another. It is losing yourself to those around you. Love can be romantic, but that is only a subcategory of what true love is. Sadly, no mortal human can ever achieve such a feat.
  11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    first thing i thought of was God... because to me He symbolizes words like unconditional/forgiving/forever/caring/compassionate

this is what i think of when i think 'love'
  12. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2003
  13. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    God is love
    Love is blind
    Ray Charles is blind.
    ergo Ray Charles is God. :)
  14. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    A good definition is the one in Corinthians(?) that pastors read at weddings.

The thing is that there is different types of love. The greeks had 4 words, Philos, Eros, Agape and I can't remember. You love your spouse in one way and your siblings in another(unless you are from WV) and a piece of chocolate cake in a third.

I would say love is a desire that thwarts rational thought.
  15. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Jun 17, 2003
    Corvallis, Oregon
    I think the four Greek words for love really sum the broad categories pretty well:

Eros: physical love. This is basically love based solely on a physical attraction and does not necessarily connote emotional or spiritual attachment. It's much more than just an attraction, but that's the basis for eros.

Stergo: affection, particularly the affection between parents and their children. It's also used to describe the affection of a people toward their (presumably just) king, or a dog for his master.

Philo: the more general term for love. The love one has for his friend or brother ("philadelphia", literally translated, means "love of brother"). Philo is also sometimes extended in compound form to inanimate objects, as in "philosophia", "love of knowledge".

Agape: This term was coined by the translators of the Septuagint (the Old Testament in Greek), and its use continued by the authors of the New Testament. It is rarely found in secular literature. The primary difference between agape and the other forms of love is that agape is most frequently used as a verb rather than as a noun. Agape is an action. In less secular terms, it's the love that God has for us and that we are all tasked with developing for one another. It is the love Paul described in I Corinthians 13 when he wrote, "Love is patient, love is kind. Love is not jealous, nor boastful, nor proud, nor rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not easily angered, nor does it keep record of wrongdoing. It takes no joy in injustice, but rejoices in truth. Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." In short, agape is a perfect love. It is described as the love Christ has for the Church, and by proxy, the love a husband and wife have for each other (in addition to eros, of course! :))
  16. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    GO RAY CHARLES no wonder my prayers arent answered i never directed them at him
  17. The_Dood macrumors member

Feb 10, 2004
    ...wait a minute! Ray Charles? Damn... and this whole time I've been praying to Stevie Wonder...
  18. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2003
    But.. but...
    Stevie Wonder is blind too.
  19. bryanc macrumors 6502

Feb 12, 2003
    Fredericton, NB Canada
    If we define 'friendship' as desire for someone else's happiness and future prosperity, I suggest we define love as the the extension of this desire such that it supersedes one's desire for one's own happiness and future prosperity. I.e., love is friendship that is strong enough to result in altruism. And if you think about this a little, you recognize that an individual has to have some self-esteem in order for their love to be worth much. So we all need to work on our self-esteem.

20. parrothead macrumors 6502a

Sep 24, 2003
    Edmonds, WA
    This question takes me back to my first day of my freshman year of high school. I was in the Honors Biology class and the teacher's first assignment to us was to write a paper defining love. I went home that night and wrote my paper. Turned it in and got my first A in High School!

My paper read:

God is Love.