Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
I went to the Apple Store to pick up my third replacement this weekend. I finally got an Intel modem version, A1784.
It is less yellow and more bright for sure than my last two Qualcomm versions. Plus, the signal strength is better and no dropped calls yet. Ive compared them all to my wife's Intel iPhone 7 Plus and this one is very close to hers unlike my others.

This all could be coincidence but I finally am happy with my 7 Plus. I also looked at the store models and they were all the A1784s in my store.

jtwlbz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2014
I went to the Apple Store to pick up my third replacement this weekend. I finally got an Intel modem version, A1784.
It is less yellow and more bright for sure than my last two Qualcomm versions. Plus, the signal strength is better and no dropped calls yet. Ive compared them all to my wife's Intel iPhone 7 Plus and this one is very close to hers unlike my others.

This all could be coincidence but I finally am happy with my 7 Plus. I also looked at the store models and they were all the A1784s in my store.

Do you hear buzzing? I notice intel modem ones making louder buzz than qc

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas

so now we are saying that the intel modems are causing the yellow screens?

Do you hear buzzing? I notice intel modem ones making louder buzz than qc

What proof?

Low country

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2016
South Carolina
Since the Sim-Free Model is the Sprint/Verizon Model, it's definitely going to have the Qualcomm Chip in it oppose to intel. Sim-Free model has both GSM and CDMA.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-7-iphone-7-plus.

Thank you. But I'm really confused on if it truly matters which modem the iPhone 7/7+ has. I've read pages of non scientific hearsay. This is probably a good thing as I await Apple to get their $ H I T together with quality control before I buy another 7+

tekjunkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2013
Thank you. But I'm really confused on if it truly matters which modem the iPhone 7/7+ has. I've read pages of non scientific hearsay. This is probably a good thing as I await Apple to get their $ H I T together with quality control before I buy another 7+

No it doesn't matter unless you have a sim free version or plan on switching carriers all the time. But you can't have the intel modem if you have a sim free iPhone. There would be no point.

Low country

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2016
South Carolina
No it doesn't matter unless you have a sim free version or plan on switching carriers all the time. But you can't have the intel modem if you have a sim free iPhone. There would be no point.

I'm definitely staying with AT&T as I have a discounted corporate account and AT&T has treated me fairly well over the last 11 years. I buy my phones outright and never finance them. What I'm trying to get to the bottom of is if there is a noticeable difference between the Intel modem vs the qualcomm modem. Do I want the SIM free Qualcomm version OR the AT&T Intel version?

The following is most important:

1. Signal strength

2. Battery life

3. Data speed

4. Call quality

Thanks very much

tekjunkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2013
I'm definitely staying with AT&T as I have a discounted corporate account and AT&T has treated me fairly well over the last 11 years. What I'm trying to get to the bottom of is if there is a noticeable difference between the Intel modem vs the qualcomm modem in:

1. Signal strength

2. Battery life

3. Data speed

4. Call quality

These are the four things that matter most to me and probably everyone here....

Thanks very much

Nope, no difference.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Just throwing another wrench into things. I used the speedtest app to compare an Intel 7+ to a 6s. Prior to 10.1 beta 4, the 6s would beat the 7+ consistently, with the results looking like the ones joelP22 posted back on page 8. Before beta 4, the 7+ would speed up and slow down during the speed test. After the update, I haven't noticed this behavior and the results are relatively similar.

FoxMike

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2016
Columbus, Ohio
Off topic but Intel destroys Qualcomm when it comes to wifi cards. My laptop had an atheros card in it from Qualcomm. It was complete rubbish. The intel card has way faster speed and reliability.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
This sums it up from the article:

"In all tests, the iPhone 7 Plus with the Qualcomm modem had a significant performance edge over the iPhone 7 Plus with the Intel modem. We are not sure what was the main reason behind Apple’s decision to source two different modem suppliers for the newest iPhone. Considering that the iPhone with the Qualcomm modem is being sold in China, Japan and in the United States only, we can not imagine that modem performance was a deciding factor. "

Case closed............Those with the Intel modems that paid the same as I did with the world Qualcomm modem I think you made a mistake.

CC

blackberrycubed

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2013
This sums it up from the article:

"In all tests, the iPhone 7 Plus with the Qualcomm modem had a significant performance edge over the iPhone 7 Plus with the Intel modem. We are not sure what was the main reason behind Apple’s decision to source two different modem suppliers for the newest iPhone. Considering that the iPhone with the Qualcomm modem is being sold in China, Japan and in the United States only, we can not imagine that modem performance was a deciding factor. "

Case closed............Those with the Intel modems that paid the same as I did with the world Qualcomm modem I think you made a mistake.

CC
Boom. Agreed.

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
I've noticed a huge decrease in speed moving to my intel 7+ from my 6S (in same bedroom environment) and always assumed it was the switch to intel.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014

CC

dude, look like you are on mission to destroy Intel modem because your Qualcomm has an extra "$100" value, from your post history. Good for you.

real life difference is less than 1%. this is a non-story. I bought two AT&T iphone 7 plus, and I am not worried a bit. In fact, I am kind of like Intel since it has no CDMA legacy.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
dude, look like you are on mission to destroy Intel modem because your Qualcomm has an extra "$100" value, from your post history. Good for you.

real life difference is less than 1%. this is a non-story. I bought two AT&T iphone 7 plus, and I am not worried a bit. In fact, I am kind of like Intel since it has no CDMA legacy.

Amen. Plus Johnny Ive would approve of the intel radio removing the cdma clutter. In fact, this very fact, I have it on good authority that this inspired him to birth the jet black color and radical new design and removal of the headphone jack clutter.

3a5.jpg

Reactions: akdj

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
Of course Apple has to do something like this. Of course Intel's performs worse than QC's. For those who are saying it doesn't matter, I get it - at the end of the day, the 7+ is a great phone. But when I'm paying $1000, I don't want to have the inferior version of the phone, in which the better one has 30% better performance.

Does anyone know if Apple's phones will all be sim-free if you were to swap out under warranty? I have unrelated issues with the phone as well.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
Of course Apple has to do something like this. Of course Intel's performs worse than QC's. For those who are saying it doesn't matter, I get it - at the end of the day, the 7+ is a great phone. But when I'm paying $1000, I don't want to have the inferior version of the phone, in which the better one has 30% better performance.

Does anyone know if Apple's phones will all be sim-free if you were to swap out under warranty? I have unrelated issues with the phone as well.

I agree that you would expect alot from $1000 cash. some of us don't pay full price since carriers subsidize 90% of the cost through their promotions. iphone 7 Plus is a great phone. even better, it has an excellent deal.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY

Apple will only swap for the exact same model.

Reactions: SPoon222222

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Shame on Apple for releasing an inferior product to save literally a few pennies.

mjb59463

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2012
Would this modem difference have any impact on international roaming?

My dad is using his 7 Plus (T-Mobile version) overseas in India and is unable to obtain service for more than 15 mins, at which point it displays "No Service" and needs the network settings reset every single time for it to work again for the next 15 mins.

His backup phone, an iPhone 6, is maintaining signal perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.