Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your white macbook show signs of discoloration?

• YES

Votes: 55 25.3%
  • NO

Votes: 162 74.7%

• Total voters

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Does your white macbook show signs of discoloration?

Please only vote if you have a white macbook.

State how long you have had it for, your serial number, whether it's been through highly intensive or less intensive use, if you are resting your wrists on the wristpad, and whether you have oily, normal or dry skin.

Lets get to the bottom of this, at least let's find out how many this issue affects.

uchuff

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2006
Mine is fine so far, got it 1 week after launch (2.0GHz), used it most days since I bought it usually for a couple of hours atleast. I honestly have no idea whether I have oily, normal or dry skin.

storage

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
This is thread is a great idea, since the discoloration has been the main reason for me not buying a MacBook so far.

If my MacBook gets discolored, can I exchange it for a new one? Or do I have to stick with it? :(.

fatties

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
nope but i am not a sweaty or dirty person and i do wash my hand all the time. and most of the time at home i use a wireless keyboard and mouse, so may be u have just been using the mb wristy bit less.

Rspaight

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2006
Nothing after five weeks.

Being paranoid, though, I did put some laminating plastic on the palm rests a week or so ago. However, the uncovered areas are still pristine.

It was made in week 20.

X5-452

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Calgary, Canada
Almost 1 week with it. No problems whatsoever. I wash my hands a lot though. As for my skin, I tend to have dry hands, but I use lotion so it's a bit of a moot point.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
You could always get black :) No macbook should be showing signs of discoloration only a few weeks into their lifespan. My ibook shows none and is years old....

rugonnaeatthat

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
My Macbook is unaffected and I can't see how it would happen to be honest. I suspect the photo was doctored up by a troll, OR the owner works in a paint workshop OR they were extremely unlucky to get a very odd macbook.

I have had some problems however detailed in the Macbook Released thred (last couple of pages).

TonySwartz

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2004
Yes, pretty normal user -- no more than 2 to 3 hours a day on it at most. Normal hands as far as I know -- no problems with anything before this.

It's in for repair right now, but I believe the SN is around week 22. Could be 20 though.

the Western zoo

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Aarhus C, Denmark
I had mine for - well about a month now... I use it every day for at least 3 - 4 hours, and if I go somewhere for more than half a day I bring it with me... the only time I miscolored it was when I had some oil on my fingers from my bike, but I was able to get the smudge off so no miscoloring here...
I rest my wrist on the handrest and have kindda dry skin...

My serialnumber? you've got to be kidding me if you think I give that up to anyone beside apple...

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
No discoloration on mine which is nearly 3 weeks old. I'm very careful with it though (after reading these threads) and use an external keyboard and mouse most of the time.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Had it since May 23rd, nothing at all. I have no idea about my skin, yet it seems pretty normal. I rest my arms there alot, yet nothing yellow, green or purple has appeared.;)

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
So far it seems like the overwhelming majority do not have this issue. Can we hear from the people that voted yes to having the discolouration?

I wonder whether this problem will affect more and more macbook owners as time progresses.

Does anyone use the Shieldzone protective film on their notebook to prevent the discolouration?

the Western zoo said:
My serialnumber? you've got to be kidding me if you think I give that up to anyone beside apple...
I meant the first set of digits only to see what week the macbook was built in.

purelithium

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Kingston, Canada
I work in a tool and die shop, so I'm working with greasy steel, grimy stuff all day. I come in at breaks and lunchtime to mess around with my macbook. No discolouration. All I do is clean it about once a week with a Magic Eraser, and if I notice brown greasy spots, I spot clean it with a tissue and 50-50 water and rubbing alcohol solution.

My Macbook is a week 21 build.

court

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2005
My macbook is a 19 week build. I am so upset about this discoloration. Part of the reason why I love Apple computer is the look and mine looks DISGUSTING with the black marks all over it. Please, if anyone knows what action I can take, please PM me.

CNU182

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
For those who need help, consider reading the following page

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/204203/

those are the steps I took in resolving my conflict and my new macbook is on the way.

once my conflict is resolved i will consider releasing the email address of the executive in order to help others out. i don't want to bombard him just yet!

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I had one for one day -- bought on day of release. By morning, there was a yellow stain and I was using it with hands freshly washed. That was one of the main reasons I changed to a black MacBook.

jAnE87

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2006
i do not have any discolouration problems with my white macbook, i have had it for just over a week and it is great.. no issues.
p.s i have normal hands

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
According to the poll, about 1 in every 6 white macbook owners has this problem... and that's just within a month of product release.

I wonder if there's going to be more and more cases reported over the coming weeks or if it's just a bad batch of plastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.