Definitive Yay or Nay; Cleaning Keyboard in Dishwasher?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by andym172, Feb 23, 2006.

1. andym172 macrumors 6502

I feel a bit stupid posting this, but I'm assured by a techie friend of mine that I can put my Apple USB keyboard in the dishwasher, and that it will come out all spangly, with keys in tact, and fully working.

Is he having a laugh? :eek:

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Let us know how it goes, will you? Mine's kind of grubby...;)

4. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I have heard of people doing this (thought it was in a thread here) when they spill coffee in one, but don't quote me on it. I like the idea of your friend doing his/hers first. If you use compressed "Air" remember the stuff in there is a chemical and not air so keep away from kids (and your nose.)

found the following post at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=129373&highlight=keyboard+dishwasher I also like the buy a new keyboard every three months post- exravagent but cool if you got the bucks- I just hope he/she donates he keyboard to someone to use.

Ok this may sound strange, but trust me it works great. You will need a keyboard to borrow for a few days while the other keyboard dries.

Take your keyboard and put it in the dishwasher and run it through a cycle with NO detergent. Just run it throught the whole cycle, then take it out and hang it to dry for a few days. I spilled soda on a keyboard and someone told me to do this and I did, there were no stuck keys and it looked like new.

JUST BE AWARE, THE KEYBOARD MUST BE FULLY DRY BEFORE YOU PLUG IT IN OR YOU RISK FRYING YOU SYSTEM!

5. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Why stop with the dishwasher? Once that's done, transfer it to a dryer and make sure it is toasty warm.

6. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Even better, watch his/hers expenisve Apple keyboard go round and round before you di it to yours!

7. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

8. Lau Guest

I think it might work if you have absolutely nothing to lose and have already spilt something sticky in there (I mean like Coke, you filthy minded lot) but I wouldn't do it just to clean it....

Reminds me of people putting their dogs in the microwave to 'dry' them, except less, you know, squidgy. :p

9. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

I would not risk it.

Take it apart and clean it by hand, which i have done myself and the results were amazing. (Black Pro Keyboard)

It did take a couple of hours. They are exremely well built, i think there was about 70-80 screws in total.

Good luck.

Rich.

10. Arnaud macrumors 6502

Ok, the obvious: if you have a Blue Tooth keyboard, take the batteries off...
    Although it would work too: self-toasted, you need to buy a new one... Tada, all clean !

"But I was sure it was unplugged !" :D

11. adk macrumors 68000

adk

the keys on my bluetooth keyboard just snap off... if you have white keys try that before putting it in the dishwasher.

12. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

just take the keyboard apart and hand wash everything. i usually do that about once a year. i've found putting all the keys into a strainer and running hot water over them works wonders. ;)

13. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I just unplug mine and q-tip it w/ rubbing alcohol. Works like a charm.

14. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I read an article about this in the Chicago Sun Times and they assured that it worked... I'm not sure if you air dried it or put it in front of a fan.

15. tiggle macrumors member

My keyboard is a little dusty..it is a BT keyboard though. I can find no answer to whether its ok to immerse and wash a BT keyboard...anyone know or done this?

16. munckee macrumors 65816

How about my iBook keyboard? Can I just toss the whole computer in the wash and get it nice and purrrty??

;)

17. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

yea, as long as you unplug it and take the battery out, you should be fine ;) :D

18. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

First, several IT certification including the one that would apply to this situation. When you spill something on a keyboard like coffee or soda you can wash it in the shower then let it dry completely. Completely is the operative word here. This also applies to if you drop an electronic device in salt water or the ocean you need to wash off the salt before it rusts. Again, you need to let it completely dry. If you try to run current through something that is still damp you are going to create a lot of problems. However, all this effort could fail as well.

Now the dishwater part. Keyboards are plastic with a circuit board inside them. Besides a few extra components you don't want being wet that is the main thing you have to protect. Basically if you throw a lot of hot water and heat (drying mode) of a dishwasher you are probably going to damage something. Although, in theory is possible for it work, but I would strongly recommend against this. Keyboard aren't designed to this, if they were it would say on the box.

In other words, don't do it.

19. jer446 macrumors 6502a

yeah why not take the keys off and wash them??

20. fowler. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

I'm willing to try this in a few days as I have a couple spare keyboards.

They're pretty dirty and if it works.. they hey, nice. If not, no worries on my part.

21. CamH macrumors member

Well, I spilled water all over my apple keyboard once and I immediately pulled the it off the computer and let it sit for a few days and it still works fine.

22. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

I remember seeing a pic where someone put their apple pro keyboard in the dishwasher. Unfortunately his dishwasher was on the sanitize which melted all the keys on the keyboard.
    So if you try this make sure you dishwasher doesn't have high temperatures.

Also, did the keyboard come with your computer? If so is your computer still covered under warranty. If so just call apple and tell them it doesnt work anymore and they will send you a new one. Then see if putting it in the wash will work :)

It was kinda like this, but this one was melted my a heater.
    [​IMG]

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

#1. I wouldn't call a person like that a friend of mine.
    #2. He is a "technie" by what standards? He is the first person his mom calls when she is confused about how to work the turn dial on her 1970 TV?
    #3. No don't put your keyboard in the dishwasher. While putting your keyboard in the dishwasher WILL result in you having a "spangly" keyboard with keys in tact, it will be as a result of you having to BUY a new keyboard. So if you want to speak in hypotheticals then yes, keyboard + dishwasher = new keyboard that will happen to be clean because that is how they happen to sell them.

24. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

I recently cleaned one of our Mac keyboards using the ol' pop-all-the-keys and clean routine - using a combination of vacuum, cotton-swabs and a slightly alcohol-moistened rag. Tedious? Yes. Concerns about getting water anywhere it shouldn't go? None whatsoever.

I had a techie friend of mine offer the same sort of advice, only he suggested warm water and soap. This technique will work fine with a keyboard you can disassemble via screw-fasteners or some other method that separates a key panel from the guts (that one would leave dry), but since our keyboards are riveted it's kind of hard to seperate the electronics from the just-plastic parts.

25. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Just a couple days a go I totally pulled apart my entire Apple BT keyboard and cleaned everything. I put all the keys in a baskets and washed them with soap under hot water. The metal part will all of the buttons on it I kept dry, vacuumed, and wiped with a rag. The clear bottom I washed in the sink...some sticky stuff got in the cracks. And I wiped the bottom white piece. I did all of this and I had a brand-new looking keyboard onto which I put an iSkin. Now it will stay like this and I won't have to pull it apart again. I just have to peel the iSkin off every once in a while and wash that. I only wish I would have bought the iSkin when I first got the keyboard because it has some of those "shiny" spots on the keys from heavy use.

I love the iSkin and I recommend it to EVERYONE to protect their pristine white keys. ;)