defrag in mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iEric, Sep 23, 2005.

1. iEric macrumors 6502a

hey - i've owned a mac for 4 years now and the only thing i've been told to do sometimes was repair permissions on the hard drive.
    but i was just wondering - don't we have something to defragment the harddrive? or is that not needed on the mac?? :confused:

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

.... if journaling is enabled (default).

There are 3rd party apps which you could try out, if you want to.

4. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

And due to HFS+ format and the way OS X works, fragmentation isn't a big issue.

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...ah yes, our weekly (at least) defrag thread...is searching the forum - even on a simple term like "defrag" really that difficult? I guess it must be. Sorry to pick on you iEric, you just happen to be the latest....oh yeah!

6. iEric thread starter macrumors 6502a

OH WOW, i never knew that. That's so cool.

Why doesn't Windows do that? Or does it do it now cause of Windows XP? Sorta like indexing?

7. iEric thread starter macrumors 6502a

OR you can not click on the topic and skip on to the next one.

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

some people have a really hard time doing that

9. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Er..., no.

I've been a member for abut a year and this is the 1st thread on the subject that i've seen.

Didn't know that OSX defraged as it went along either.

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...or....you (and anyone else) can read the sticky note called "Guidlines for getting help" - specifically the part about searching before starting new threads. This *is* a moderated forum and as such has rules, loose as they may be sometimes.

I can handle it if a topic comes up every 6 months or so, but as you can see by the other post, there are *lots* of threads about defraging and a simple search, as per the rules, would have shown you that.....oh yeah!

11. iEric thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry I don't spend all my time on MR reading through EVERY single post including stickies. I don't spend all my time stuck on the computer and i don't know much and such I do not look or think of looking in a search query.
    I just wanted to ask a question...it's was a nice day in Victoria and still will be tomorrow, why don't you go outside and spend some time with nature.
    Seriously, i'm sorry about asking a question that has already been answered a lot, but I think my title for the thread was pretty obviously what the topic was and you could have clearly shrugged your shoulders and skipped the topic. You could have even saved your time, and mine, so we wouldn't have these feudish replies.

and since now i know that mac os x refrag on the fly, now i know. the end.

12. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Quoting [VersionTracker] the guys at Intech the makers of SpeedTools:

"...OS X 10.3 and higher defrags on the fly. True, but this is only part of the story. The "built in" defragging will occur only when the fragmented file has nine or more fragments! Secondly, it will defrag it only when you open it; meaning you pay the defrag time penalty at the very moment you most want access to it...

Also doesn't it only defrag 20 MB or smaller files? Oh well I still don't bother defraging my drives, life goes on!

SpeedTools forum port discussing this

13. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...you are taking this too personally, and also missing the point - it is not about me monitoring the forums for rogue threads and having nothing else to do...yeah, I could very easily say "defrag" - been there done that...but if nobody points out the forums rules and posting guidelines (which everyone should read when they join anyway) then how is the forum user supposed to learn from the "mistake." There is a reason why people don't want the forums clogged up with duplicate threads, and that's why you see threads locked or moved to the wasteland. It is just good forum etiquette to not create a bunch of duplicate threads, and that is not just on this particular forum either. So, chill, and live and learn - just search next time...it is quite simple.

And yeah, you're right - it was a beautiful day here and I *should* have (and normally would have) been outside either cycling or power-walking...but someone at work decided to pass on their awful cold to me so I am not up to much else than sitting by the computer at the moment. :)

Like I said - don't take it so personally - as obvious by the links to other threads you are not the only one that has not searched...oh yeah!

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

lets leave the "moderating" to the moderators....and I notice that you aren't one....picking on other posters and making personal attacks are also against the "rules" some rules

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nobody's picking on anyone so let's all just think happy thoughts and leave the madness to me. :)

16. yenko macrumors 6502a

Jeeez! I thought this was a defrag thread! :D :D

No worries about fragmented drives in OS X.
    One strange thing I've noticed though, is a tendency for the directories to get screwed up even if they're journaled. There are many reasons for this and I believe bad installers, failure to repair permissions, forced shutdowns and running newly installed applications without restarting AND rebuilding permissions are the biggest culprits.
    I don't want to get flamed for this but after servicing over 100 machines, these are the most common and this is my experience.

You results may vary. :D

I would suggest that you invest in a good utility such as "Disk Warrior" or "TechTools Pro".This will keep your machines in peak running order with almost no problems.

Whatever you do don't run updates or do installs on a machine if you're experiencing problems with it. You WILL make things worse. Guaranteed. :)

17. iEric thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is journaling kinda like indexing?

18. yenko macrumors 6502a

No......Yes.......Well.......No :p
    Better click on the link below!:D
    Journaling :cool: