Defrag

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by TurboLag, Feb 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TurboLag macrumors member

Im new to the mac scene. What program do we use to defrag? Is there one built in to OSX or is it even necessary to do so? Do I need Norton SystemWorks?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Re: Defrag

You don't use any. Now get this. Microsoft ships a defrag utility with Windows. Apple does not ship a defrag utility with MacOS X. It does not make one available to .mac users. Apple does not recommend any product for defragging your disk. What is more, if you have journaling enabled on your file system, then defragging can actually damage your system. So, don't waste your money and be happy.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I was under the impression that Panther auto-defragged in the background as needed. Could be wrong though.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO US A FAVOR AND SEARCH THERE PROBABLY HAS BEEN AT LEAST HALF A DOZEN THREADS ABOUT THIS ALREADY.

http://forums.macrumors.com/search....d=460120&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

I count at least 4 other threads with "defrag" or some variant in the title ON THE FIRST PAGE ALONE!!! They all have replies too!
    I see 20 in 6 pages with "defrag" in the title, PLUS i did a search that turned up all threads that contained the word "defrag"...thats a lot.

5. TurboLag thread starter macrumors member

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

Okay what you started was a thread. What people posted in reply was a post. Together they are called a thread.
    Please read everything you're supposed to read before posting a thread.
    Many people have asked similar questions because they dont search before posting and its a waste of everyone's time.

7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I propose a FAQ. That tells people everything that keeps getting asked over and over again. Like how to delete that undeletable file, how to "defrag", how to use multiple monitors with the iBook hack, what iGav does all day... that sorta stuff.

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

how bout a moderated forum where the only thing you can do is post FAQs on everything and force people to search it before posting.

9. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Well I for one do not mind re re re re-explaining and I'm curious as to who's time is being wasted. The mods for moving/removing similar threads? I hardly find it welcoming nor helpful when someone simply replies with, "Do a search". On some occasions asking a question by starting a new thread that has already been answered previously will spark new responses that have never been considered.

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

maybe that's you, but I find it irritating when the same question has been asked multiple times over and over again (with certain limitations of course)

Yes, I wouldnt tell people to search if there was a possibility of there being another answer, but the fact is that OS X defrags without you having to do it. There is no other answer. Its essentially a yes or no question. In this case, its unnecessary to have *yet another * thread about defragging. Plus a lot of people neglect to search the forums for previous similar threads. It saves the user time, because he/she doesnt have to wait for people to reply. People have already replied to similar posts already. Its a waste of space, bandwidth, etc. If and only if the user, after searching, comes up with a new question or another way of doing things he/she can dig up a previous thread and post a reply or start a new thread.

On the other hand, if this was an opinion thread, or if it was a new OS or something, then the person should feel free to post. But since multiple members have posted the same exact question multiple times, ARGH!!!

11. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

completely agree..but as hez a new user, its not really his mistake. so actually you were right earlier when you gave him his answer and also said to do a search in future...I think thats the way it should be ..:)

12. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I appreciate your explanation and yes in this instance it would be redundant. Providing a link and an explanation in regards to future questions was THE helpful and insightful thing to do. Just as much you loate beating a dead horse I despite the one liner tips of "Do a search". ;)

13. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

Re: Defrag

TurboLag,

welcome to the Mac scene!

on the Apple web site there is this about defragmention or fragmentation (glass half full or half empty?)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25668

A disk utility such as Disk Warrior, does defragment the disk directory prior to writing it out again.

14. TurboLag thread starter macrumors member

Okay, thanks for those who answered me straitforward. Uberboy blasted me for wasting forumspace, but seems he used more space for his rambling. And as for "what is a thread?", I guess sarcasm is not something taught online!

15. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

16. janey macrumors 603

janey

um hello i'm a girl?
    and what i bitched about was perfectly alright.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.