Defragged ipod - everything gone

Discussion in 'iPod' started by MacConvert2007, Sep 2, 2009.

  1. macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2007
    #1
    After two years of use I finally decided to defrag my 160 GB ipod classic.

    In iTunes, I enabled disk use. Then I used TechTool Pro 5 to:
    Run a Surface Scan and Volume Structures Scan - No errors.
    Run File Optimization followed by Volume Optimization.

    Upon completion of the last 2 (defragging) the ipod reads as empty-no files.

    Anyone know what I did wrong?

    Can I quickly fix it or do I have to do an ipod restore under iTunes and just reload my library?

    Thanks
     
  2. macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    上海 (Shanghai)
    #2
    You'd have to reload your library… why did you defragment your HDD? You know a restore and resync would have done the same thing?
     
  3. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2007
    #3
    I guess I didn't realize that. I was trying to improve the ipod's performance. There are all kinds of articles on the web about defragging your ipod:

    http://www.wikihow.com/Defragment-an-iPod

    OK then, restore and resync it instead.
     
  4. macrumors 6502

    wpc33

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2006
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC
    #4
    A restore from iTunes wouldn't work as a true defrag, but It would improve things. I would prefer to use iDefrag, with which, I've defragged 3 iPods, several times each, to great success.
    I do like TechTool, though I haven't defragged with it. Good idea to search for bad blocks with it.

    My condolences to you for your freak accident/simple mistake, whatever it may be.
     

Share This Page