Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ESDGraffiti

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2002
Washington State U.S.A.
Are you booting up from the Drive 10 disk? You'll have to do that to defrag your normal start-up disk.

I've also heard that in OS X, de-frags aren't really necesary. Can anyone else elaborate on this?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Well i too had heard that defragging didn't do much of anything under X, but not one to have blind faith, i installed a small OS X system on on my my external partitions, and booted from there to defrag my normal boot drive. It was pretty heavily fragmented, data thrown all over the place, and took quite a while to defrag... I rebooted and checked the disk, sure enough everything was degfragged and optimized, but you wouldn't know it from the speed. I couldn't see ANY speed increase, even minor, which really surprised me. I'm still anal enough to like knowing it's all cleaned up, but it's generally useless. Not worth the time and hassle, IMHO. But if you insist on trying it, you do obviously have to start up from another disk. Booting from another disk gives you a good opportunity to run a disk utility on it, i personally use norton disk doctor.

Good luck!
:)
pnw

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by Billicus
Are you still having troubles with Norton in Jagaur Paul?

Thx for asking :) No, i finally got it figured out... Norton's LiveUpdate feature doesn't install everything at once, instead it runs like half a dozen installers, that all look the same. So about 4 installs in, i thought it was just stuck in a loop, and I forced quit. So Liveupdate thought my stuff was Jag compliant, but obviously much of it wasn't. Wound up having to reinstall it several times before i figured this out... Nothing like programmers cutting corners at the cost of intuitiveness...

Incidently, as many people here complain incessantly about Norton not being worth it, since it's up and running it's been a godsend. Works just like it did on OS 8, which is juuust how i liked it :) 'Course my hard drive is 500 times bigger now, so it takes a little longer...

:)
pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.