Degauss on IMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by chehalistech, Apr 25, 2003.

1. chehalistech macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2003
    I have an iMac that started having lines run through the screen like monitors do when they want to be degaussed. Is there any way todo this?
  2. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    Re: Degauss on IMac

it does it automatically from a cold start, so shut down the machine, restart it, maybe do this a few times (thought its not good to shut down and startup quickily in sucession generally speaking), and that will degauss the monitor.

Otherwise I would look for nearbye source of EM interference, maybe try a different location on a different power circuit to make sure it isn't some weird power problem.
  3. dynamicd macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2002
    What exactly is a monitor that is "degaussed?" Is this an older CRT imac or does this happen with lcd's? I have a 17" and am curious to know if I could run into this similar problem.
  4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Degaussing is necessary only with magnetic fields, which is how crt monitors work. lcds don't have magnets, so no degaussing.
  5. chehalistech thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2003
    I have an IMac with a 15" CRT built into it. The computer has not been moved in a while and it was fine till I placed another IMac next to it that I was working on. When I turned the other one on it messed up my screen. I no longer have the computer in the same room even and I still have that problem.