Deja Vu all over again...

Discussion in 'Community' started by stubeeef, Apr 25, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

This was very very cool to me, so put on your other geek hats.

I was a US Navy Pilot and got off active duty in '94. I served 2 sea tours (3.5yrs and 3 yrs) flying P-3's and EP-3E's all over the world, literally. They were fond days, and I look back on them smiling.

A startup company got some refurb contracts on P-3's and are working on them in the hangar next door to mine. I walked over the other day to stroll down memory lane, got into a conversation, and boom they want me to do the engine run-ups on inductions and post maintenance. I am still a Navy Reservist, and dropped my old designation letters off (WAS a primary NATOPS instructor and Mission Commander and Plane Commander in both Electronic Warfare and Anti-Submarine Warfare) to their office so they could get me approved for some duty.

After the smiles and handshakes I went to look closer at some of these ole birds, the smell was full of memory and I smiled so hard it started to hurt. On a wild hair I looked up just one of the Buno #'s (like a serial number) of one and sure enough, I had flown it back in 1988. So after 17yrs and many a mile I meet back up with one of the same airplanes I started in as a "kid".

I hear these stories from time to time, and I'm now grinning from ear to ear, 'cause this time I get to have a flash back story. This time I get to bring my 3 daughters out to see, hear and experience what their dad was doing before he met mom!

I am totally stoked!!! :D

After 3 cell phone calls I had to share this with you bunch. Thanks.

2. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

great news! you're a lucky bastard! must be like climbing the same mountain after 15years again. you suddenly remember every detail, every smell, every spot where you bumped your knee.
    enjoy it to the fullest!

andi

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

That is awesome, man! To be able to share that with your family is something special - and even though they may not appreciate it now (your kids are still young, right?), they'll be grateful later.

My dad was in Navy special ops (you know, where they do background checks on everyone you've ever met, and you have to carry cyanide pills) up in Greenland, and I remember him sharing stories with us (non-classified, of course ;)) when we were young, and me thinking "who cares." Now, being older with kids of my own, I cherish knowing those things about him.

4. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Cool, very congratulations... sounds like you found yourself one hell of a part time job... I would like to learn to fly one day - that must be amazing.

glad you're on our side in case, eehh... well, glad your on our side :)

A

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

meh, i thought this thread was about showgirls.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

stange world sometimes - thats very cool, though.

so on a somewhat related topic - what is more prevalent these days P3s as sub hunters or the helicopters?

D

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

This make the smile of your Avatar very appropriate. First of all thank you for your service. I served in the Air Force as a Nurse, Active and Reserve. When I read about the P-3", the first thing that came to mind was the international incident that occurred. A P-3 was forced down on a Chinese island by the military charged with spying. That was a scary time.

8. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

That was an EP-3E from my last squadron, VQ-1, which used to be based on Guam. I flew those planes for 3 years, from the Persian Gulf to the Kamchtka Peninsula and over to EastPac. The skipper of the squadron and some of the dept heads were co-horts.

Ya, this whole thing is making me very happy. This plane is the touchstone of my aviation experience, and to be in and around the same ones again is very cool.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

congats stu..... i hope you enjoy your experience and that your family appreciates your past work as well more fully

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

If you have a chance could you post some pictures? Are the P-3 and EP-3 completely different? Do they represent anything that the Air Force uses?

I was also proud when I was able to earn my Nurse Flight Wings.

11. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Good question, there are really very few subs to hunt. The russians were the major power with subs, but they are our friends now, so we stopped tracking them so much. They may be doing it again, but I wouldn't know. The P3 and Helo missions are fundamentaly different. With the helos providing closein support and P3's doing open ocean search. I don't think either is hunting an "enemy" anymore. They probably hone their skills on US Subs, subs of opportunity.
    I was hunting them in the 80's when Reagan had given the russians the evil empire eye. It was very cool. I flew weeks at a time on a soviet boomer in the N Atlantic, we would all fly around the clock tracking them. The Germans, French, Spanish, Canadians, Brits would all join in and track'm. It was a very, very cool chess game. Some of the briefing rooms in Iceland were like out of a hollywood movie. Of course state of the art in 87 doesn't compare much now.
    One of the best memories I have is my first mission. It was out of Iceland in November. It got time to put the newbie nob in the seat and let him fly. At one point the guys in the back "pumped" up the hydrophone sound to me in the cockpit. To sit in the left seat of that plane, flying in the middle of the N Atlantic, and press a button in the cockpit and hear the droning of the subs engine, pulsing at a very low freq, was intoxicating to me. That low pulsing sound was a cold war soviet nuclear missile sub, full of men trying to hide in the dark cold waters of the N Atlantic, And I had them dead in my sites! WOW. Writing about it doesn't really give the entire picture, especially me writing about it, but those expierences are integral to who I am now, and that is that. Sorry for the long windedness. :eek:

12. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

EP-3E's I flew from 90-94
    Link
    Notice all the antennas, lots of "listening".

The airforce doesn't use anything like it, well actually the c-130 and p3 share lots of systems, both lockheed, same engines too.

Normal, or straight P3.
    Link

Used by numerous countries since the early 60's. Anti submarine as well as antiship and maritme survellance. Some of the covert ones did things like record the video of the "blackhawk down' incident in somalia.

A P3 can carry lots of "cruise" type missles, sit of the coast for 10+ hours and wait to shoot realtime targets, surgically removing them.

edit: MORE....
    wdlove here is a link to the AF equivalent.

notice all the antenna's, all the way out the wings.
    2nd pic are some of the crew positions.

Attached Files:

13. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Couldn't resist posting these pix of a P3's weapon capabilities.

Attached Files:

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Those are very nice pictures stubeeef. Thank you for posting them. ;)

15. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Update.....

things have not been progressing well on this opportunity. Just returned from a week in Chicago and found out the outfit doing the refits was shut down for illegal workers...

Link on local news

This is very disappointing. :(

16. makisushi macrumors 6502

Dude, that blows!

I was totally excited for you.
    Hmmm...maybe you can buy the company now. That would be a sweet story!