DeLay faces ethics rebuke

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

MSNBC

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's about time, he's been unchecked for wayyyyyy too long and politics in America have suffered for it.

3. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

You gotta wonder...

Who re-elects a guy who's proven himself to be an extortionist with a penchant for dirty politics, bribery and corruption?

Is there some district in Texas that's all THAT jaded? Is there perhaps a district made up entirely of his family? ;)

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's the result of the redistricting process for you. It should be revamped to be less partisan. Safe districts tend to be extremist in their politics.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Unfortunately, the opposite happened in Texas due directly to DeLay's efforts. It's a big part of the reason for the Republican dominance in the house.

6. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

As far as I'm concerned districts should fall along existing lines. Period.

Reps: County by county.

Senators: # of counties to ballance population VERY ROUGHLY following geographic lines. Eg: NorCal Vs. SoCal with the line running between counties from about Morro Bay East.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Problem: some counties would have to be divided because they exceed the population allotment for a single representative.

8. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

So you go down a unit. My point was that I feel that districts should follow existing juristictions. Screw this special districts for special things crap. Existing juristictional lines are used for everything else. The Congress needs to get over itself.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

For anyone who thinks this is partisan politics, his opposition is half dem half repub. Doesn't matter which side you land on, you need better when it comes to ethics if you are a leader in this country. In an increasingly information filled world, no more profiting from your position of power without the likely chance you will get caught.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I suppose you are learning just who Peg Pinard and Abel Moldanado are, aren't you? :p

Not me, they're locals in this area, but due to the lovely redistricting snake that's been drawn we're sharing an assembly district. Although oddly enough it is a highly competitive race, with only a slight edge for the Dems in numbers, but an equally slight edge for Reps in likely voters. Lots of money being spent too, what with introducing the candidates to you guys in 3 pretty pricey media markets.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Did anyone catch DeLay's spin performance today? He claims to have been "vindicated" by the Ethics Committee. I half expected him to say, "Look Ma, no leg irons!"

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Just like Bush/Cheney have been 'vindicated' by the Duelfer report... :rolleyes: