Delay in shipping Dual 1 GHz G4 from store.apple.com

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by dezigner, Feb 4, 2002.

1. dezigner macrumors newbie

Hi all!

I ordered a new Dual 1 GHz G4 last Monday, Jan 28th from http://store.apple.com. The web site stated 5 days to ship since I ordered an extra 512 MB of RAM (totalling 1 GB of RAM). This morning, I called Apple and the Apple representative said the estimated ship time is 5 business days from the date it was ordered (even though the site says only 5 days and not 5 business days).

I called back at 5:30pm (est) today and another Apple Rep. said they are waiting on a part and my new computer will not ship until the end of this week. The Apple Rep. could not tell me which part they were waiting on. The Apple rep. said a delay message was sent out last Friday internally and I should receive an email late this evening or tomorrow stating that my computer will not ship on time.

2. liven2 macrumors regular

I am having the same problem!

I ordered it on Tues and he said it will come at end of week or later did not seem sure!

3. lilscoy macrumors member

So anxious....

Me too...I ordered it last tuesday...I was wondering why it hadn't shipped yet. Thanks for the posts....but it is getting harder and harder to wait... I wonder what part they are waiting for.

4. tadd macrumors newbie

tadd

mine has shipped

I ordered a G4 dual 1Ghz and it is about 1 day away now having shipped via ground. For some reason it appears to have originated in Harrisburg PA. Is this normal?

5. liven2 macrumors regular

TAd when did you order

When did you order your machine?? :confused:

6. lilscoy macrumors member

Hmmmm...

Yeah, when did you order yours? I really can't wait much longer. Harrisburg is normal. My lcd monitor already shipped (and was delivered) and it originated from Harrisburg, PA. Anyway, you are very lucky that it is so close to you! :)

7. Zarbs macrumors newbie

Be positive...

Maybe they're holding the machine for an updated part like a GeForce4 card instead of a GeForce4MX? As the new box contains 90% plus of the parts from the previous G4 it's hard to figure what, other than the processor and the video card, they could be waiting on. Patience is a virtue...

8. balliet macrumors member

I order mine on the 29th, hasn't shipped yet. I just assumed it was 5 business days. I got the lcd pretty quick, came from PA and I live in NY.

9. tadd macrumors newbie

tadd

mine was ordered

I ordered mine on Tuesday evening from Apple online. I'll post again when it arrives. Pix on http://www.torborg.com/

10. phrogman macrumors newbie

Ingram Micro is the distributor for Apple and they have a distribution center in Pennsylvania......that is why you see PA as the source.

11. Ratman macrumors newbie

I ordered mine on Monday the 28th. I ordered stock Dual 1 Ghz and on friday it said shipped and fed ex says the estimated ship date is tommorow.

12. dezigner thread starter macrumors newbie

Email From the Apple Store

Here is the email I received at 7:20 pm (EST):

Dear Valued Apple Customer,

We appreciate your recent Apple Store order XXXXXXXXXX. Due to an unexpected supply delay, we are unable to ship your Z058, POWER MAC G4 CTO by the date you were originally quoted. Our goal is to ship your order within the next 5 business days.

If you prefer, you may change or cancel your order and receive a prompt refund by calling us at 1-800-676-2775, extension 56500, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. central time, Monday through Friday, or 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. central time, Saturday and Sunday. If we do not hear from you, we will continue processing your order. If you provided an email address when you placed your order, you will receive an email notification once your order has been shipped.

We appreciate your business and apologize for any inconvenience this delay has caused you. Thank you for shopping at the Apple Store!

13. Kid Red macrumors 65816

I got mine the day it came out. It seems to be a popular machine, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple didn't think these would sell as well as they are and didn't have enough supply on hand.

Yopu guys can pick it up from an Apple store near you, if you're lucky like I was :)

14. lilscoy macrumors member

quick question...

Hey tadd, did you order a stock tower, or did you customize anything? thanks...

15. kaisera macrumors member

MacMall

I ordered my Dualie from MacMall on the 28th right after the announcement. It shipped Tuesday, even though they said it wouldn't be in stock until Thursday. Had everything friday (Got the free 512mg ram and a 17in LCD).

IT SMOKES and FInal Cut Pro 3 rocks.

16. DrJay macrumors newbie

I go the same strange email today at 5:19 PST. I had called earlier in the day to check my order status, and the rep said that my machine (DP 1GHz) had been built, was being tested, and should ship in the next 48 hours. I ordered 8:30 PST on the 28th. When I got the email, I called back and the rep said that the message is a generic one that goes out to customers when the estimated ship date is exceeded, but she could not offer any information as to the status of my machine. So, I'll either have the thing by the end of the week (and be very happy), or I'll have to endure another weekend imagining I have the best computer on earth.

17. midiman macrumors newbie

I guess I got lucky...i ordered mine actually on the 14th, but changed to the dual gig from the 933 that they automatically bumped my order to early monday morning. It shipped out that night, and I got it on wed. afternoon. What a difference!! for only $320 more than the single 867/128/60, I got the dual gig/512(now upped to 1.5)/80 gig. You will enjoy it!! It will be worth the wait, I guarantee!!!!!

18. tadd macrumors newbie

tadd

stock tower - arrived today

Arrived this morning. I ordered the stock tower.
    I haven't turned it on yet. oh this is SO exciting.

19. lilscoy macrumors member

Ughhhh...

I just called and an Apple Rep said that another 5 days was added to my date starting today. And, they said that they couldn't tell me why. They said not to expect it until the 12th, which is 2 weeks from when I ordered it!!! Why 2 weeks!!?? Ahhh...this is getting so hard...

20. dezigner thread starter macrumors newbie

gave up on http://store.apple.com

I called and cancelled my order at http://store.apple.com and I am picking up my new G4 from the Apple Store in Cincinnati, OH. I couldn't wait any longer and Apple has no idea when they are going to ship the orders that have been put on "delay status". Also, the Apple retail stores can now give education discounts (at least that is the Apple rep told us on the phone). You have to have a student/faculty ID from a College or University. We also found out that the Retail stores will accept an Educational Apple Loan as long as you fill out the app online and bring the account number with you! :)

21. lilscoy macrumors member

OM MY GOSH!!!!

I called Apple today, and they are now quoting a shipping date of Feb. 19th!!! What the hell!? That's THREE weeks after I ordered it!! I know most of you don't care, but I had to vent somewhere! Man, I'm so stressed!!! I just don't understand what's keeping a G4 tower!